PDA

View Full Version : Oil drain crush washer

jmoser
01-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Is there an online source for the XC oil drain aluminum crush washer?
IPD lists one but it looks like maybe just a rubber seal - cannot tell.

Sometimes the local parts shops have generic Al or Cu washers and sometimes not - looking to order a 6-12 pack.

volvoshad
01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
ipd does have the correct Al washer, as does fcpgroton ($0.20 I think). Might cost you a buck at the dealer. Suggest avoiding a generic seal.

ncoonen
01-22-2007, 06:56 AM
ipd does have the correct Al washer, as does fcpgroton ($0.20 I think). Might cost you a buck at the dealer. Suggest avoiding a generic seal.

I would definitely avoid harbor seals and monk seals :D but you can use either aluminum or copper crush washers from the auto parts store. Just take an old one with you. Perhaps the drain plug too if possible (i.e. you have another car to drive). I've used plenty of parts store crush washers on BMWs, Volvos, and other makes without issue.

...ned.

Davolvo
01-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I went to my local Volvo dealer and asked for a copper crush washer, part # 11998. The guy at the counter said they don't make the copper anymore, and gave me two aluminum ones for free. The washers fit both the oil drain and the bevel gear drain plug's.:)

jmoser
01-22-2007, 08:40 AM
I ordered several from groton along with rear brakes and an oil cap gasket.

Question - I heard the same washer fits the ATF drain but thought the bevel gear case drain had to be drilled out?

Did you mean the transmission drain or does the bevel gear case have a standard drain plug?

BTW 'generic' copper / aluminum washers are fully universal as long as ID/OD/thickness match up. In a pinch many good parts stores have a nice assortment. Have needed them for various cooling systems, brake lines, etc. over the years. Its the synthetic / 'rubber' components that can screw you due to changes in temperature, chemical resistivity, etc. across all the various polymers.

BillAileo
01-22-2007, 09:12 AM
He is referring to the bevel gear fill plug. There is no drain plug on it unless you've had it modified. And the same washer also fits the automatic transmission drain plug.

Bill

JAGMAN
01-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Same washer fits Tranny, Bevel Gear, and rear differential, both drain and fill (if it has a drain). You should use aluminum washers not copper.

Dino
01-27-2007, 11:21 AM
I may be missing something on the need for an aluminum crush washer, but... When I made my first oil change, I looked for a crush washer at my local NAPA dealer. No luck. I then went to the local discount store (Shucks in our part of the woods) and found a rubber composite washer. It fit the plug just fine and has not leaked a drop of oil. I've reused it 5 or 6 times now without any incident. They are definitely inexpensive. So, I am unconvinced that the washer needs to be an aluminum crush type. Am I missing something?

MoeB
01-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I thought the purpose of the washer was to keep the drain plug from coming loose.

swedeng
02-04-2007, 05:19 AM
The crush washer is aluminum on the XC to match the pan. We put a new one with every oil change. Spending pennies on the washer as opposed to chancing engine damage due to a leak makes it a no brainer. You can buy 5 years worth for $8.00. We use the original equipment German washers.