PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Filter

volvoshad
01-18-2007, 10:50 AM
For my 100th post, I wanted to report that I have added a Magnefine filter to my '01 AW 55-50 transmission. So far, no shift flares since adding it, and the 2-3 upshifts seem a bit smoother (or is that my imagination?:rolleyes: ). My service advisor suggested that perhaps the intermittent shift problems were related to dirt in the throttle body, so that motivated me to add the filter. Time will tell if this helps my tranny to see be part of a Volvo High Mileage Club vehicle.

MoeB
01-18-2007, 01:36 PM
[thumbup] Did you put it pre or post cooler?

volvoshad
01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
[thumbup] Did you put it pre or post cooler?

Post cooler. This is what the instructions suggested. MoeB, what do you think is best?

MoeB
01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Definitely post cooler on older trannies. I need to do this.

doublecheese
01-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Is there any chance that this filter may collect all the dirt and block the fluid going past easily thru ?

harry brauns
01-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Can you gaive a discribtion of the instalation, dit you use smart connects.
Do other volvo drivers have experiance?
HCB

volvoshad
01-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Is there any chance that this filter may collect all the dirt and block the fluid going past easily thru ?

Great question. That was my concern, but the Magnefine has a large cross sectional area - way bigger that the return hose on the cooler line - and a bypass valve if it becomes clogged. :cool:

volvoshad
01-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Can you gaive a discribtion of the instalation, dit you use smart connects.
Do other volvo drivers have experiance?
HCB

Installation is really pretty straightforward. General instructions may be viewed here. (http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/installation_page.htm) Specifically for our vehicles, I removed the air intake from the air filter box to provide a little more room. Remove the radiator to transmission return line (the upper one used in Gibbons tranny flush thread) by squeezing the green click, pushing it in slightly, then pulling it out. I used hose pliers to get leverage. The return tranny cooler hose is routed under the intercooler to throttle body charge air pipe, and I wanted to try a different path, but both ends of the ATF return line are steel, limiting flexibility. I am sure that this could be dealt with, but I wanted to get the filter installed and get on with other matters, so I just cut the line a few inches below the exit point from the radiator a basically left the filter in the original cooler return line path. Making certain that you have the filter properly oriented, insert it on the hoses, and clamp it with the provided hose clamps. I used ATF to lubricate the beads on the filter; it's a pretty tight fit. Magnefine suggests hooking up the radiator side first and checking for correct flow, but I confess that I skipped this step. Re-install the cooler return line and air intake, start 'er up, check for leaks, and you're done.[thumbup]

Part of my motivation for doing this was the truly awful appearance of the original ATF when I drained it a few months ago. I did a 10 quart exchange, was running low on 3309 ATF, and therefore stopped while the fluid was still pretty dark. I plan to do another flush and fill in the next 6 to 12 months and replace the filter at that point.

volvoshad
01-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks to dtmackey, I realized today that I had not mentioned that the correct size for the Magnefine (or any in-line filter) is 3/8ths inch.:o It helps to know this when you order, especially from one of the numerous non-Volvo sites. Anyway, the 3/8ths inch filter will fit on the return cooler line in a P2 XC.

For everyone that has had tranny problems, I really have had better transmission performance since installing the filter.[thumbup]

Caleb
08-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Curious on where you got your filter kit...I have a 2001 xc70 with 166k miles and I'm gonna change the transmission fluid soon, so adding a filter would make sense. Any pictures?

lmacdonald
07-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I have a '08 XC90 and am coming up to 100,000 miles so I want to flush the transmission. I spoke to the dealer to see if my transmission has a filter. They said yes but it is a metal unserviceable one. Furthermore they gave me the speal about never needing a fluid change and they have never seen the later models have problems even when they get high mileage. I don't subscribe to this and will be 'Gibbonsing' my tranny soon. I like the idea of this Magnefine and it looks like it goes on the same hose that you 'Gibbons' from so I might do both at the same time. My question is what now happens to this internal filter? Does it eventually get clogged?

MacNoob
07-12-2013, 06:58 AM
You'd be better off posting on the XC90 board - it's not the same at the XC70 and people over there will have better info for you.

nickbw
07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Installing a magnefine is all very well but if you have worries about dirt in the throttle body why would this help?

tapanitja
07-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Installing a magnefine is all very well but if you have worries about dirt in the throttle body why would this help?

Hi,
several years ago I needed to do PS fix and added magnefine filter into the return line then.
few years ago I flushed the transmission and started to use synthetic ATF with magnefine
in the return line. No problems related to the filters, the 850 has about 250kkm on it today.
br Tapsa

Astro14
07-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I have a '08 XC90 and am coming up to 100,000 miles so I want to flush the transmission. I spoke to the dealer to see if my transmission has a filter. They said yes but it is a metal unserviceable one. Furthermore they gave me the speal about never needing a fluid change and they have never seen the later models have problems even when they get high mileage. I don't subscribe to this and will be 'Gibbonsing' my tranny soon. I like the idea of this Magnefine and it looks like it goes on the same hose that you 'Gibbons' from so I might do both at the same time. My question is what now happens to this internal filter? Does it eventually get clogged?

Clean fluid is more important than adding a filter. If it's not a serviceable filter, then it's more of a metal screen, and no, it won't clog over time.