PDA

View Full Version : Receiver hitch and underbody photos, etc.

Lightrail
01-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Is the Volvo-accessory hitch a 2-inch receiver hitch? And does anyone have underbody photographs they can post here or direct me to? How about the roof rails, has anyone removed them and how does the XC70 look without them? (My rear roof rail supports both have cracks. 27k miles, and no load bars or loads on the rails....) I've read much about AWD and snow, but what about water-over-road conditions. Has anyone experienced problems driving in water-over-road conditions? Thanks!

Art
01-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Welcome Lightrail. :)

Here (http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/thumbnails.php?album=69&page=2) is a link to some excellent photos of the Volvo hitch and 2" receiver as seen on forum member steve0923's rig.

As far as removal of the roof rails goes, it's a pretty simple procedure. More discussion about this can be found here (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7390&highlight=roof+rails) and here (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4795&highlight=roof+trims). With that said, unless you don’t mind seeing gaps in your roof trim, you will need to order full replacement strips. Either way, you will likely end up acquiring new rails or roof trim pieces. If you have no plans at all to use the roof rails for rack accessories, then you might be better off just leaving the current ones on.

Personally, I prefer the utilitarian look of the Euro rails and find them indispensable for hauling cargo.

budrichard
01-18-2007, 10:02 AM
During a day of heavy continuous rain, much of the Interstate System in and around Milwaukee experienced standing water on the road ways. As it was we traversed thourgh the area twice on that day. I experienced the same sysmptoms that one gets in slush, namely noise eminating from under the vehicle. 03 XC70 already had the first mod for this. Dealership then did another adjustment but we haven't had those conditions since, to test if a sucess.
In any event, driving where streams and creeks are flooding is considered not advisable due to the ability of the flowing water to carry your vehicle away. Driving through standing water near your axles generally results in repairs down the road to wheel bearings even if done slowly. I don't consider the XC70 a vehicle for fording streams and then if I have to, I would walk through the stream myself to verify sound bottom and flow of water. -Dick

littlewaywelt
01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
During a day of heavy continuous rain, much of the Interstate System in and around Milwaukee experienced standing water on the road ways. As it was we traversed thourgh the area twice on that day. I experienced the same sysmptoms that one gets in slush, namely noise eminating from under the vehicle. 03 XC70 already had the first mod for this. Dealership then did another adjustment but we haven't had those conditions since, to test if a sucess.
In any event, driving where streams and creeks are flooding is considered not advisable due to the ability of the flowing water to carry your vehicle away. Driving through standing water near your axles generally results in repairs down the road to wheel bearings even if done slowly. I don't consider the XC70 a vehicle for fording streams and then if I have to, I would walk through the stream myself to verify sound bottom and flow of water. -Dick

Had the same situation as well. muffler hanger adjusted for slush squeal. 6mo later came back and hangers adjusted for squeel in rain. now gone.

Lightrail
02-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks all, Art, for the replies. I had the Volvo receiver hitch installed on my '03. It includes a connection for lights which is not shown on steve0923's '01. When I get the car up on stands, I'll photograph the underbody and post them here. I'm a little concerned because it looks to me the receiver hitch is not perpendicular to the bumper cover. I also did the 30k service. My right rear toe link was bent and was replaced. Apparently, someone used the link to lift the vehicle. I don't understand why they use a box section there instead of a bar section, or tie. Another problem I have is with the idle. I had the throttle body cleaned because my idle seems low, about 700 rpm. When the a/c compressor is running, my steering wheel experiences vibration. But the cleaning didn't change my idle speed. Does anyone know the spec for rpm at idle? About the receiver, I like it. I attached my 3-bike rack, a DrawTite, loaded a bike, and set out.

Does a receiver hitch stiffen a vehicle's rear end?

About the water over road conditions, I frequently drive between Dallas and Beaumont. I've driven several miles in Hardin County in water-over-road conditions, in a V70. The only problem I had was with wakes and an 18-wheeler wanting to overtake me. Wakes also cause problems for people with homes along these roads, homes which are, obviously, flooded.

I think receiver hitches are great, and that the xc70's 8-inch ground clearance is wonderful, but I wish the car would drop 3 or 4 inches on the interstates.

mbsl98
02-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Just a fine point, but isn't the XC70 hitch still a Class II with a 1 1/4" bar, not a 2 "bar"?

JAGMAN
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
2" for US Volvo Hitch's. Other company's have the 1 1/4"ers.

mbsl98
02-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks. Very interesting. My Volvo hitch for 850 and for '98 XC were 1 1/4", and all of the after market hitches I looked at for our '07 XC were also 1/1'4, but I haven't yet looked closely at the Volvo offering for the '07. I will say that my factory hitch for the older cars is far heavier duty than the aftermarket ones for the same car, so that is probably true for the new ones as well.