PDA

View Full Version : Parts on line??

XC70Jazzer
01-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed.
I started searching the web for wiper blade set for my front windshield and brake pad sets (front and rear) Volvo XC70 2001 17" wheels

After an hour of live chat with someone who confused the heck out of me, I come to the experts. Where can I order these items. Best service ,price etc. I of course want the OEM parts

Thank you

volvoshad
01-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed.
I started searching the web for wiper blade set for my front windshield and brake pad sets (front and rear) Volvo XC70 2001 17" wheels

After an hour of live chat with someone who confused the heck out of me, I come to the experts. Where can I order these items. Best service ,price etc. I of course want the OEM parts

Thank you

Be careful about ordering from the various and numerous internet parts suppliers, as many of the parts are aftermarket. Some are OK, but many owners have found the quality to be inferior. Have you checked Boston Volvo Village? They have a mail order/internet service that is all OEM of course. Prices were competitive with the internet suppliers when I checked with them.

The Valeo wipers got some great reviews on swedespeed. They are currently buy one get one free at TireRack.com. I order a pair today, and will post comments after install.

XC70Jazzer
01-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Mike

swedeng
02-04-2007, 06:05 AM
We specialize in Volvo parts and have a service facility. We have our own quality control of parts because we put them on and see how they work on our customers' cars. We generally use the original equipment stuff, unless something that is just as good, but cheaper, is available, or something better is available.

There are several instances when Volvo's OEM products aren't as good as aftermarket:

-Sway bar end links: Many customers have had these changed 4-5 times under warranty at the dealership. The original ones are made by Lemfoerder, which is generally a good OEM, but the ball socket is too weak in these to handle Michigan roads for any period of time. We use aftermarket Meyle ones with success, they have a stronger (larger) ball socket, and they are cheaper.

-Brake pads: Volvo's are fine, unless excessive black dust on your wheels bothers you. The problem has traditionally been that aftermarket pads squeal on a Volvo. The new Wagner Thermoquiet pads have an integrated molded shim, similar to the Volvo shimming. That combined with noise dampening chamfering makes for quiet braking and less noticeable dust than the OE ones.

-Cabin filters: Unless you have the IAQS climate option, Volvo uses a cheaper paper filter. We always use charcoal carbon filters, the cost is the same as Volvo's OE filter, but the filtration of air is much better.

There are other examples. Like I said, generally the OE stuff ends up being the best anyway. If you buy parts from our company, you won't have a problem with it fitting wrong, because we actually install the stuff we sell and we have 30 years of Volvo specialization. So we know what the right stuff is from experience. A lot of times we can get the parts directly from the OEM, bypassing Volvo's excessive markups, so sometimes you can save like 40-70% and get exactly the same item.

Here's our site: www.swedishengineering.com

There is an online shopping cart, but it is actually still somewhat a work in progress. We are a smaller company, so we don't have a huge amount of $$$ , and we actually lease our online parts site from one of our vendors. I am working on cleaning it up so that it more reflects what we sell, but there are a lot of parts on there that we actually don't use ourselves. If in doubt, its best to call us. Either myself or Mike can help.

-Ben

Swedish Engineering Exclusive Volvo Parts
800-928-6586 (1-800-92-VOLVO)

;)

volvoshad
02-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Swedeng, thanks for your insights, and welcome to volvoxc.com. I am sure that you will be a big help for our members.[thumbup]

PS When are you going to open a branch in Pittsburgh?

swedeng
02-05-2007, 06:20 AM
We tried opening another branch in Atlanta. It actually was open for about 10 years. We had it in Atlanta because that is actually the largest Volvo market in the world. It had some level of success, but we owned it. I think for other branches to work, it would have to be a franchise. So that the ones working all the time also owned it themselves. The Atlanta store helped us because we made wise real estate decisions and made good parts contacts in terms of sourcing. That is how we were able to have the money to move into our new shop in Ann Arbor. My uncle runs the Eugene, Oregon shop. He owns it himself, but relies on us for help (his main tech calls us for tips). If someone were ambitious enough, if they had a dealer trained tech (many times dealerships do not treat their good techs well) and were entrepreneurial and not afraid to take chances on a business, then theoretically there could be a Swedish Engineering just about anywhere Volvos broke down. I sell parts to people in Pittsburgh. I believe that there is sufficient business there for someone. We are in a group of the largest Volvo independent repair shops in the country and we cannot compete against other members. The closest member is in Marietta, PA, which I think is far from Pittsburgh.........

volvoshad
02-05-2007, 07:45 AM
We are in a group of the largest Volvo independent repair shops in the country and we cannot compete against other members. The closest member is in Marietta, PA, which I think is far from Pittsburgh.........

Swedish Motors has been in Marietta for a loooong time. Depending on how hard you press your Swedish iron, it's about a four hour drive from Pgh. Not really an option for routine maintenance. Thanks again for your insights, and I will keep you in mind next time I need parts.

nwxc70
02-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Swedeng,

Could you tell me how I might find a listing of independent Volvo repair shops in your "group"? I live in Wilmington, DE between Baltimore and Philly and would love to have a non-dealer shop to go to...

Thx!

swedeng
02-14-2007, 06:50 AM
I don't know if someone cracked my online sales site, but a lot of my parts show prices WAY WAY more than what I sell them for. I am just a small independent so I don't have quite the budget to make my site as nice as the others. I do sell only quality stuff and at a fair price.