PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid checking

psaboic
01-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Folks,

Correct me if I am wrong. The proper way to check the transmission fluid in our cars is with the transmission fluid at operating temperature, and the engine idling.....right? That is what I have always been taught to do.

I was told by a technician at the dealer today that you check the fluid with the fluid at operating temperature but with the engine OFF.

Please tell me which is correct. I believe the fluid in our XC-70 is a bit low and I want to get a proper reading.

Thanks,

Glenn

BillAileo
01-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Engine running (Transmission in Park of course)

littlewaywelt
01-16-2007, 07:40 AM
whoops...replied to wrong post. Removed.

Christopher
01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Boy it would seem to me that because of the tucked away position of the transmission dipstick you could easily lose a couple of fingers trying to check it with the engine running.

volvoshad
01-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Boy it would seem to me that because of the tucked away position of the transmission dipstick you could easily lose a couple of fingers trying to check it with the engine running.

Engine should be running, and tranny HOT. I try to check after a run on the highway. There are not any moving parts near the dip stick, but due to heat from the radiator hose and so forth, I wear gloves and long sleeves.[cool2]

I have found if you check the level hot but with the engine off, the level will be high. I guess some fluid drains back from the cooler and so forth when the engine is off.

jawillia
01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Folks,

Correct me if I am wrong. The proper way to check the transmission fluid in our cars is with the transmission fluid at operating temperature, and the engine idling.....right? That is what I have always been taught to do.

I was told by a technician at the dealer today that you check the fluid with the fluid at operating temperature but with the engine OFF.

Please tell me which is correct. I believe the fluid in our XC-70 is a bit low and I want to get a proper reading.

Thanks,

Glenn

Where is the dip stick? Dont mean to sound dumb.. just my first XC70 and I cant seem to locate it. Thanks!

volvoshad
01-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Where is the dip stick? Dont mean to sound dumb.. just my first XC70 and I cant seem to locate it. Thanks!

You are not dumb, just having normal difficult finding it.;) It is on the very front of the tranny, rather close to the lower radiator hose. I find it best to stand at the left side of the car and peek around a bit till you see a small yellow dipstick. In addition to the contorsions needed to get your hand on it, there is a small lever that you need to push to remove it.

You may have noticed that it is not even mentioned in the owner's manual. Obviously, Volvo did not want owners check the ATF. [mad2]