PDA

View Full Version : 06 XC70 + Nokian WR -- perfect

airprakken
12-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Just had the first chance to get lots of ice and snow with the new WR's. This was around Bend & Sunriver, Oregon -- nothing like the snow in Denver area. Still, I found them much better even than I expected. Nearly impossible to get any sliding or spin except on glaze ice and even then very little. Packed snow and unpacked snow (but less than 8" deep) snow are solid. Trip across Santiam pass where virtually everybody was chaining up, we were solid at all times.

Was fnally able to excercise the DSTC on a wide, empty (of cars) paved road with several inches deep packed snow. Had to swerve and stomp gas at the same time to make it happen but I felt the brakes working and with only slight correction it straightened up instantly. Very nice.

Now the question. I saw many cars and 4wd today here in Bend / Sunriver with studs, even though most roads are not snowy most of the time. Even saw a V70R with Hak2+studs. I just don't understand this. Any good AWD plus WR (much less Hak2) seems fine to me. Clearly studs would be better on glaze ice but no studs would have to be better on all other conditions, right? Much better on pavement, equal on snow and packed snow, right? So, have these people just not studied or am I being unfair?

PDXXC
12-30-2006, 11:22 PM
I also had a chance to test my 1.5 yr old WRs on a trip to Mt Hood on Thursday. They were fantastic on packed snow. Far better than I expected but still not great on ice....particularly when compared to a studded tire.
There's nothing like studs on ice...nothing. I live on a steep (15%+ grade) and, when we get ice, the Volvo stays in the garage if it doesn't have studs on. We use our old Jeep Cherokee w/studs in those situations. BTW, A set of Hakka studs make all other brands that I've tried seem a poor choice.
Just my $.02
Cheers,
Jorge

Sundstrom
12-31-2006, 02:05 AM
My wife has a -06 with Michelin X-Ice North.
This i a modern stud tire (from -05) with "tri-active-sipes"
Great on wet ice, harpack and deep snow.
Good on dry roads but a bit noisy.
On wet ice you need studs when you hit the brakes.