PDA

View Full Version : Trunk lock jammed. 02 xc70

smack7
12-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Help? Blanket jammed in trunk lock. Cannot open trunk. Latch wont release. This does not have third row seat, so there is not an internal release handle. Is there an emergency release that I can try. Asked my mechanic and he says you have to dig it out. Have tried but no able to get it all out. Very little room to work. Any Ideas?

Art
12-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Welcome smack 7. :)

Not sure if this will help you out but one member here managed to release the latch from the inside when his rear hatch lock also became stuck. He explains his method in the thread below.

Rear Hatch Locked Shut (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8666&highlight=rear+hatch+lock)

bouvier
12-22-2006, 01:13 PM
I had the same thing happen to me, complicated by having the cargo area devider and dog door attached to the swing down metal barrier. I was able to get the back seat down and crawl in far enough to get a good grip on the blanket and pull it out from the inside. The dog was in the back at the time so the only down side was that he managed to lick my face and neck at will during the operation.

Bouvier

smack7
12-22-2006, 01:55 PM
The rest of the story. My wife was taking our lab to the vet to get the porcupine quills out of its face and mouth. Put a blanket down in the back of the car and shut the door.

I spoke with the service center and they did not have any solution except to bring it in and they would push and pull on it like I was trying. So far I have gotten the best advice from this forum. I will give it a try tonight when I get home. Hope it works, Next step is to try and melt the trapped blanket material with chemicals or get out the metal saw! So far $160 for the vet, I hope that is it.

Thanks.
Steve

PDXXC
12-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Man sorry to hear about your pooch...I have Chesapeake, and I know how mule-headed retrievers can be around prey that can kick their asses!
As for the blanket....what's the material? If it's wool, hot (boiling) water on the fibers will soften them up. If it's sythetic then you'll have to take your time with vise grips trying to pull it out several fibers at a time. Any chemical that will attack a synthetic blanket will likely attack the trim materials of the car.
If you sit in the rear compartment, with your back up against the seats and your feet on the rear hatch, can you push it enough for a budge as you pull on the blanket?
Good luck with this...and the dog.
Cheers,
Jorge

tom's new car
12-23-2006, 11:12 AM
it is useless............give me the car and go get another one

smack7
01-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Well the fix was pretty simple. I got ahold of a few photos of the lock mechanism, and took the advice of a friend. That is.... Sit in the back of the car, have someone on the out side trying to open it and kick with both feet just above the lock.... And bang, it came right open. All is right with the world. Sorry Tom, I guess I will keep it.

The lab is doing well also. So far no return of the proky.

Thanks, All.
Steve