PDA

View Full Version : K@N filter install

airlaird
12-10-2006, 12:30 PM
OK, not much going on on this forum so I'm gonna keep posting. I just did my K@N install and again, Volvo uses hex nut Scews to get the air box opened....AARRGGH! My gosh this thing is overbuilt. Anyway if any does this K@N mod you need to let the Filter dry out a little bit before installing it. By this I mean, the pink crap on the filter will CLOG the Mass Air Flow Sensor. So just a tip for those that consider this mod. Anyhow the filter was around $60.00 and of course, you'll NEVER have to buy another one. Hopefully this will help mileage a bit.
airlaird

dmd
12-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I have seen too many horrors from k&N users with large diesels. They seem to let too many fine particles through. I will have to see if I can find the independant tests that show the fine particle rates. I will stick with paper and replace them, pretty cheap insurance. These things are not sports cars no matter how much stuff is added.

Ricky D
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I put on in 5 months ago and feels a little better(paper air filters suck). I know this will trap all the crap and give more air flow. People use these things in the desert all the time with mass dirt and sand flying around all day.
I paid $37.95 at Anything.com. When you clean and reoil the filter go easy on the oil and let dry.

RickD

airlaird
12-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Rick I agree....those that have never used them hear about stories of how they let in more dirt etc.... It's too bad. I have had a K&N OPEN AIR FILTER KIT on my Landcruiser for 8 years. And yes, I off road the heck out of my Landcruiser. I have a "snorkel" which goes straight to the K&N...feeding dust and particles directly to it....it runs perfect.
airlaird

dmd
12-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Running perfect and feels better are subjective. New engine is objective, seen it myself. Check behind the filter in the tubes, put a dab of gease in there and check it a few 1000 later.

This isnt a desert racer that will get rebuilt, this is a car you want to last a long time.

Y2K VOLVO
12-13-2006, 09:50 PM
You said "My gosh this thing is overbuilt". Volvo does over engineer their air box. That is why I will stick with the stock air filter that was designed by Volvo. Upgrade your exhaust, suspension and ICU if you want performance. IMO K&N does more harm than good. That is my personal opinion so no flames please. Happy driving.[cool2]

airlaird
12-15-2006, 06:53 AM
No flame from me...Heck, who knows if the filter will harm or help on the Volvo. I'll give it a try. I'm hoping to get better mileage not performance. With the V-8, I've got the power..it's the 14 MPG we're getting that I don't want.
airlaird

Allen
01-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Read this thread.

http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6094

dmd
01-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Read this... It even has a K&N guy on it.... He NEVER states anything about how well it filters. He just mentions the "3 leg" Flow, filter, retention...

Problem is that only time will tell if it filters well, by then it may be too late.

At high RPM, it may help with air flow, but at normal RPM you will see no difference. Get a vacume gauge and see.