PDA

View Full Version : Cold / Stiff Power Steering Problem

AshevilleXC
12-08-2006, 07:07 AM
Greetings all and Happy Holidays!

I'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on a steering issue w/my 01 XC, 90k... Twice now, with temps in the 20's and below, the wheel is super stiff at start-up and remains that way until I can eventually work the wheel around lock to lock. After that it works fine.

The back story - The power steering hose clamps were leaking and I replaced them. Along the way I made the error of adding the wrong type of power steering fluid which I have now flushed and replaced with the green stuff (Paitusan (sp?)). The other fluid was in use for maybe 2-3 weeks before I caught the issue.

This morning with temps in the teens the wheel was stiff again...

I am planning to flush the system again but I'm hoping to learn that my system is not already cooked from the incorrect fluid.

Thoughts?

v70+xc70
12-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Not a problem other than its simply the fluid getting stiff in the cold air. Possibly combined with a lazy fuel pump.

My Discovery does this in cold weather for years. Just have to expect it and be prepared

geo
12-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi,
Both Volvo and VW specify a Pentosin (from memory) based fluid which is more akin to a multigrade fluid in operation.
Standard PAS fluid has to warm up to work effectively, but the Pentosine fluid has a greater visco stable range.
Those of us who never go less than -5C, (+20F) will never notice the difference. Below -5 the steering will be stiffer and over-assist until the fluid is warm.
With the new generation Electric PAS pumps (which only pump when steering) pentsine is necessary.
By design both types of fluid are totally miscable, the greater the vlume of eaither type the mre akin t that fluid the steering perfrmance.
Geo

AshevilleXC
12-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Members,

Thanks all for the information. When the system is not reacting to the cold, the Pentosin fluid makes for wonderful response and a light feel at the wheel.

I have lingering concerns over the residual presence of the old fluid in the system and the possibility of leaks due to failed seals. So if anyone has additional thoughts on how I might head that off, I'm all ears.

And Thanks again!