PDA

View Full Version : Total Cost of Ownership

TNXC
11-22-2006, 07:38 AM
After my latest service, I thought I should add up what I've spent over the last 18 months on service. Let me add that the car is running much better and I am still very happy with the car, I love the way it looks and the saftey of the car itself. That is mainly why I still have it today. However, service and repairs keep climbing....

Things repaired to date not including oil changes, tire and brakes (last 18 months)
* Vacuum line $78
* 90,000 mile service $307
* 100,000 mile service $220
* Top motor mount $88
* Front link rods $165
* Throttle body cleaned $79
* Air Mass Meter & Mode switch $522
* Universal joint of rear drive shaft $429
* Ticking in top end / gasket set $412

My last estimate for repairs was $3,200 of which I was only able to have about $1,475 done.

When I added them all up it came to over $3,800 I've spent in less than two years on service and maintenance.

I still have over $3,000 of service it still neeeds including:
* A/C evaporator leaks $1,328
* Altitude Sensor bad $323
* Rear Brakes/rotors worn $373
* Front spring seats cracked $288
* Heater Core leaks $618
* Dash lights burned out $203
* Door retainer spot welds broken - need est.

I'm saving to have the rest done but when it is done it would have cost me over $6,800 in less than two years.

Is this typical? I love the car and I really want to go to the dealer for all service. There are not any really good established Indy service ceters for volvos, only scmucks in a truck or shade tree guys. The shade trees are good but who knows if they will be there to stand behind their work. Call me crazy but I do fall for the glitz and glam at the dealer just not the constant repair costs....

Seems like the reliability is much worse than the Range Rovers I've owned in the past that each got well over 140,000 miles with no problems like this. They were never this bad for longegetity and they were British.

I bought this volvo with 85,000 miles thinking it would last me for a very long time. It was part of my get out of debt plan but seems to have backfired.

My wife thinks I'm crazy. She has an infiniti with over 120,000 and all it has ever needed is oil, tires, brakes and a battery...thats it. Never had a bulb replaced on it either.

Tyrant11429
11-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm hearing you on that buddy

DucVDuc
11-22-2006, 08:47 PM
My sympathies.

My 01 XC70 has cost $6,500 (~$5,000 US) in repairs just this month. These cars are not cheap to own, but they are fantastic when running.

rodrigo
11-25-2006, 06:13 AM
I wouls suggest going to the dealer, but that is my opinion. +/- $200 to install an MAF?? $175.00 for a transmission fuild flush? $320 for a coolant flush? Went in for a 60,000 mile service on the XC...$638.00 for a 'visual inspection' of hoses, brakes and drivetrain...added bonus: spray lubs on the door hinges. No thank you!!! (do y'all sense I'm pissed at the dealer??)

I go to a Volvo Independant mechanic for things I cant do myself, and he ends up getting all his parts from FCP Groton anyway! His hourly rate is $87.00/hr as opposed to the dealer here at $105.00/hr., which is much more reasonable, and he marks up FCP parts...which is still cheaper than dealer parts (and they come in a VOLVO box!!!)

Look around...find an Independent Mechanic/shop.

Edmonds17
11-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Your expenses seem extremely high. Amazingly, you don't appear to have exprienced the ETM defect yet. You are in the 4% that haven't had that issue through 100,000 mi.

We have an ''00 XC w/75,000. mi. Gas, oil and some routine stuff like brakes and tires are all we have had to spend on our XC. (We did have the infamous ETM defect but Volvo covered the $1,000. cost because it occurred in California.)

It is quite possible that the prior owner beat the car to death before you bought it. That might explain some of your expenses.

I second the other writers that you should look for a good independent. There are lots and lots of people and Volvos on Long Island. I'd suggest you talk to other Volvo owners about where they have their cars serviced.

You might also contact the New York Metro Chapter of the Volvo Club of America (VCOA) to see who they might recommend. The New York Metro Chapter is run by a guy named Howie Silverman. He can be emailed at "jojokev@ worldnet.att.net". (If this info. is obsolete, look for updated contact info. at "www.VCOA.org". )

I hope this is helpful.

Edmonds17

Greybeard
11-27-2006, 03:11 PM
$3100 for a new angle gear this month. I bought the car used in August. I'm buying a set of new tires so I can keep up with tire rotation and wear to avoid another need for an angle gear.
My wife has a Honda CR-V and a Honda Civic before that. Those cars are much more reliable, tight and don't leak anything. I've wanted a Volvo for years, but in retrospect, I'd get a Honda next time. It costs less to work on. I guess. We've never had to work on them.

Tyrant11429
11-28-2006, 03:59 PM
yeah they are expensive to keep, I have to get mine fixed, this lady hit my car, needs new bumper, fogs, fender, corner light, additional things, that I don't know I need yet due to the accident, Not to mention I have to fix my doors( driver door hinge broke off chasis, passenger door lock bad(again) also my antifreeze is turning black( just changed radatior and antifreeze) think oil is leaking into the antifreeze. Not to mention the clunking noise, which I think maybe the upper mount (just bought one from IPD)
I already put in a lot of money into the car, now I'm going to have to again, I don't know if I want to keep it or sell it, it already 6 some years old, and has 155k on it. I do like the car, but my smarter sence is telling me its getting to be too much. I have to see how much the other lady insurance is going to pay. What would you guys do ?

TNXC
11-29-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm with ya brother. Don't know whether to fish or cut bait either. Now I just noticed that the inside vinyl door panels (where the handles are located) are starting to bulge out in the corners like the glue let go. I'm worried I might not be able to sell it with more and more going wrong each day. Love the care but jeez....

Tyrant11429
11-29-2006, 07:04 PM
I really like those new nissan versa's though, and they are great on gas, and look reliable. but I'm attached to my cross country, but than come the expenses for the car. Plus the size of the versa doesn't compare to the volvo.

uwackme
12-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Cost of onwership requires dividing by miles.

My 86 Corvette for example cost me $.16 per mile. I sold it to a father/son looking for a nice restoration project. It was still purring like a kitten at 265,000 miles. That includes every dime except gasoline.

Hope the XC does as well or better.

VolvoPassenger
12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
I am taking over my wifes Volvo repair headache. She has a '99 XC V70. She has spent more on that one car than I have on my last 6 cars, including BMW's, Fords... ABS module replacement alone was $800+. This is NUTS!

A quick investigation turned up the following car reliability TCO data. Don't look if you are at all squeemish or a dire Volvo fan. I am neither.

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/search_results.html?apc=3128339010848601

If this doesn't come up it is for a Volvo, V70 Total.

V70 is one of the most expensive, least reliable autos listed. When does this low reliability finally hit home with the automaker???

Just since I have been brought into this mess: ABS Module, ETM, Left rear wheel bearing twice, $653 in visual 100,000 mi check (done at 90,000 since we didn't know if would make it to 100,000)

My current project is to get the viscous coupler/transfer case replaced on the drive shaft. $2000+ from the dealer. And this is a known problem for Volvo!!

My wife does not beat a car. She needs a reliable safe car to get to her medical practice at all hours of the day/night. But this is ridiculous. I have given her my Ford Explorer to get around until I can get on top of these problems. I fix my own cars and do not relish the idea of getting into this vehicle, but the costs are maddening.

Any suggestions, including where to get the best price for a used '99 XC?