PDA

View Full Version : New Tires for my '01 XC

GrndCyn01XC
12-31-2003, 10:09 AM
Fellow XC'ers.

Spent the last couple of hours going through as many posted topics on tires that I could find. Came across many great suggestions for new tires and the associated satisfactions, disatisfactions with Michelin (MXV4's, Pilot A/T), Nokian (WR's), Pirelli (STR's) and probably a couple others.

I am currently on my second set (44,500 miles) of Pirelli ST's. The first set was replaced almost immediately upon vehicle purchase (I am not the original owner). Apparantlely road noise was the reason. I have been moderately satisfied with the current tires, however, with winter upon us, I am not comfortable with the amount of tread remaining (probably 6/32 or less). Most of my driving is done on pavement (wet & dry). Winter time I can expect to be driving on snow covered roads (Flagstaff, AZ @ 7000 ft in elevation) periodically.

Right now I am leaning towards the Michelin MXV4 Plus. Good reviews (Tirerack and Discount Tires). Here is my quandary. I am currently running 215/65R16's with the Pirelli ST's (Yup another set was put on after the first set was removed as described above). I would like to run 235/60R16's. Done the math on the change. Overall diameter goes from 27.00 to 27.10 inches. But I like the idea of an increase of 0.79 inches in section width (sidewall to sidewall). My speedometer reading will be off by approximalely 0.25 mph @ 65 mph.

Have any of you changed tire sizes either to a 225/60R16 or to a 235/60R16? Any problems, issues with the modification from the OE size of 215/65R16's. Also, if any of you have feedback on the Michelin's for road noise and snow/slush handling, I would greatly appreciate the feed back.

Thanks for your feedback.

GrndCyn 01XC
http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

littlewaywelt
12-31-2003, 10:20 AM
I would be very cautious as to tire size since you're driving a vc awd XC.  I'm not sure if the awd system is only in danger of damage if tires of different size are run or if running a matched set other than oem size dictates.

gibbons
12-31-2003, 09:02 PM
GrndCyn01XC, I'm selling a set of Scorpion STR's with 802 miles on them, I am just up the road in Utah   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I am spoiled by Nokian Hakka Q's on the Subaru, and for driving in snow a bunch, these Scorps aren't as good as "real" snow tires.  I am actually going to try the WRs, I hope the summer driving won't suffer too much.

By  the way, I had MXV4+ tires on my Infiniti, and they were the worst modern tire I have ever driven in snow.  I also had one that went bad and caused the car to pull.  I had it aligned 3 times before I discovered it was a tire.  It destroyed my relationship with the service department at the Infiniti joint.