PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Volvo's Integrated Booster Seats

09-10-2002, 10:44 AM
I am trying to decide whether or not to order these. I know I don't want the versatility package, as the third row seat is of no use to us.

We already have a decent "collection" of booster seats, including a pair of Recaro's and two Britax's. The Volvo dealers around here say they don't have any cars with integrated booster sheets available to show, so I can't compare them with our "portable" ones.

I look forward to reading anything people have to offer regarding Volvo's integrated booster seats. I would also appreciate links to sites with good photos of them.

Will Volvo ever offer a reverse warning system on the V70? My mother had it installed as a dealer option on her S80, and I believe it will be a factory option for the XC90. That and adjustable pedals are the two things I feel are really lacking from the V70 family.

Takk!

wiz
09-10-2002, 03:16 PM
I don't know too much about the booster seats but one dealer in the Boston area (Lee Volvo) was offering them as "standard equipment" recently.

The reverse warning system is an option for the V70XC. You can read about it in an earlier post (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=531).

William
09-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Hi,

Here are some pros and cons about Volvo's integrated booster seats that I share with my customers. First of, I presume you are talking about a V70 Cross Country...as what I say below about people/cargo options doesn't apply to a regular V70.

Positives - The integrated booster seats save space, they are there when you need them and out of the way when you don't. You can go from carrying two little ones in the back to seat to two adults very quickly. They don't take up any space in the car when not in use.

Negatives - This is a minor one...the cushioning in the seat buttom of a vehicle with a booster seat is a little firmer because of the booster unit. I have had a few adults remark, that they noticed a difference. Some folks have more sensitive back sides...I'll leave that discussion for another time. Less options cargo/seating options... with the booster seats in a Cross Country the second seat goes from a 40/20/40 configuration to a 60/40 setup. The 40/20/40 split gives you more ways to carry people and cargo... particulary long items like skis, fishing poles, golf clubs, etc.

I hope this helps you decide what is best for your needs. Any questions, please post or email me.

William

Njord
09-11-2002, 09:46 AM
Chipshot
I have the boosters in my 2002 -I haven't used them yet because my twins are still too small but I do like the concept of being able to "take the seats out" quickly. My current seats take 5-10 minutes to remove. Here is the seat closed:
http://cars-council.ca/web icons/booster closed.jpg

Njord
09-11-2002, 09:48 AM
I don't know how to add more then one image per post
but here is the booster open.
http://cars-council.ca/web icons/booster open.jpg

giralda
09-11-2002, 09:58 AM
From what I have read, safety experts like the idea of integrated boosters.  It eliminates the chance of incorrect installation.  And because they are actually part of the car, they are more structurally sound.

johnnh01v70xc
09-11-2002, 02:42 PM
We have two little chikitas (4,7) and this was one of our "have to haves".  No more shuttling boosters from car to car or having to store them when back seat is needed for adults.  They are much more comfotable for the kids also.  Volvo also has an optional cover which provides side-side head support for napping.  We don't have these covers, but they look like a nice addition.  Any one else have the covers?

Definitely recommend.

Falron
09-12-2002, 01:43 AM
We have triplet girls who are now 6 years old and a boy at seven months. The XC is our second seven seat Volvo the previous being a 1999 V70.

In Australia the wagons with boosters and seven seat option carry a premium on resale because of demand. In fact when I traded the V70 the sales person had someone on the waiting list for a low mile seven seat wagon. He wanted to take the V70 two days before the XC was pre-delivered !

My wife put it this way " why arn't all other cars designed this way?"

If you have kids or might have kids or might carry kids one day get the seats. In fact the Volvo XC brochure states "child booster seats as standard" (in Aus.) So if you live downunder you don't get a choice.

Whilst we are on the topic the previous V70 had intergrated booster in the centre arm rest - but this has been removed - does anyone know why? It was great with the triplets, three kids, three boosters, no problem.

BTW if you have kids I would recommend checking out the crash safety web sites in regard to child safety. We already own 9 child seats but after reading the latest data we upgraded to the best rear facing seat we could. The Australian Standards for child seats are amongst the best around - but after reading the data - not strict enough.

kersti
09-12-2002, 09:02 AM
William,
 Do you know why the XC70 needs to be the 60/40 split when you add booster seats. Obviously if it fits in a 40 it should work in the 40/20/40? I don't have young children, but they work so nicely it seems like they would be nice to have for the eventuality.