PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak questions

funglenn
11-18-2006, 07:45 AM
I was out replacing my upper motor mount ( Amazing how the car drove fine, but I was able to just push the old cracked seal out of the way since the cracks were on both ends and all the way through). And I noticed that there is some oil on my engine. Two questions:

1. Is it possible oil is coming out of the oil cap area and spilling out onto the top of the engine? Does the seal in the cap wear out? (Did not check, I know my 850 had a rubber seal on the bottom side of the oil cap, don't know about the XC)

2. There is oil leaking out of the big round rubber area (The seal is about 3 inches in diameter or more) on the driver's side of the engine near the airbox/fuse box area, but on the engine block. What is this seal called? Is it an expensive fix or even worth it? NOT alot comes out, the amount caked around the edges of the rubber has not changed in over a year. It is just some thing I noticed.

Thoughts?

BillAileo
11-18-2006, 10:03 AM
1. Yes. And yes, the gasket can wear out. It's a simple item to replace.

2. I believe what you are refering to is the "rear cylinder head plug", also called a cap. It has Volvo part number 1397381. Its a fairly inexpensive part.

Bill

funglenn
11-18-2006, 10:04 AM
1. Yes. And yes, the gasket can wear out. It's a simple item to replace.

2. I believe what you are refering to is the "rear cylinder head plug", also called a cap. It has Volvo part number 1397381. Its a fairly inexpensive part.

Bill

Bill,

Do I need to replace the cap or only the rubber gasket on the oil cap?

Can the rear cyclinder head plug be replaced by me or does it require a lot of work? worth the time?

BillAileo
11-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Unless the cap is damaged you only need to replace the gasket.

I've never had one of my rear cylinder head plugs seep so I've never replaced one. VADIS shows a special "drift" being used to install the plug, but VADIS shows special tools for many repairs some of which can be accomplished without them. If you aren't seeing any sign of current seepage around the plug maybe it would be best to leave well enough alone for the present.

Bill

RedXC
11-18-2006, 06:42 PM
The oil cap seal (gasket), replace it whenever the seal gets hard from the engine heat. If you think there are a lot of oil in that area, I would remove the spark plugs cover, and clean off the oil. Rear cylinder head plugs will require a special tool, you can take it to a indepedent volvo specalist for the work. Btw all Volvo models from the 70s-now have the oil cap seal, except the newer engines on S40,etc.