PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XC inner tie rods

alini
11-15-2006, 07:34 AM
I need to replace the inner tie rods on my '01 but have been unable to find good instructions. Is it possible to do without a lift?
Thx!
Andre, VT

RedXC
11-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, but a lift wil be a heck easier.

volvoshad
11-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Yes, but not using a lift will build character.:cool:

I have not a found an internet discussion that includes these instructions. If any member has the Haynes UK edition manual for the V70 or VADIS, perhaps they could post the instructions.

It is a safe bet that a few, ahem, special tools may be needed.:rolleyes:

alini
11-18-2006, 02:38 PM
I have not a found an internet discussion that includes these instructions. If any member has the Haynes UK edition manual for the V70 or VADIS, perhaps they could post the instructions.

I scanned a few Volvo forums and found nothing. Very odd...
If anyone could post some info that would be great![thumbup]
Andre, VT

tom's new car
11-18-2006, 08:28 PM
you haven't found it because it does not make a whole lot of sense........your regular car-jack and a cinder-block or a piece of wood will work fine

alini
11-18-2006, 10:28 PM
you haven't found it because it does not make a whole lot of sense........your regular car-jack and a cinder-block or a piece of wood will work fine
Thanks Tom for the useless answer...
Andre, VT

tom's new car
11-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks Tom for the useless answer...
Andre, VT

no problem.........let me know if you want to know how to change your wipers while they are moving[thumbup]

skibo
11-20-2006, 08:35 AM
It is a safe bet that a few, ahem, special tools may be needed.:rolleyes:

Maybe not. I looked at one of these at the dealer recently, and was surprised that the 'cone', or tapered pin was amazingly broad. On my old GM stuff, the taper was shallow, so when you torqued the castle nut the pin becomes wedged in the mating hole, and then you need the 'pickle fork' and a big hammer to seperate the two. In this case, it looked like once the nut was off, the parts would seperate easily.

Having lost one of these at 23,000 miles, I'm also curious to see the instructions. I've been fearing replacing these on a regular basis - a co-worker with an S80 has replaced 7 tie rod ends thus far. I see the part is only $40 online - if I could do this myself and then pay the $60 for an alignment, it becomes much less of a concern.

alini
11-21-2006, 04:48 PM
no problem.........let me know if you want to know how to change your wipers while they are moving[thumbup]

not sure what you mean by wipers ;)
Anyway, I was under the impression that this forum was about helping fellow Volvo owners keep their cars running. Maybe I was wrong and should just keep rebuilding Ducatis. After all, they are so much simpler...
Andre, VT

tom's new car
11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
not sure what you mean by wipers ;)
Anyway, I was under the impression that this forum was about helping fellow Volvo owners keep their cars running. Maybe I was wrong and should just keep rebuilding Ducatis. After all, they are so much simpler...
Andre, VT

I was just kidding........don't sulk

I actually don't see why you couldn't do it..........but it would be a whole lot
easier just to lift the car and remove the wheel.......

if I had the instructions and the 8x10 color glossies, I would have given them to you.......

volvoshad
11-22-2006, 05:04 AM
I still have not located specific instructions, but here is what I can piece together:

1) After you have decided how you wish to lift the car and have removed the wheel, remove the nut from the tie rod end ball joint. If skibo is right, the tie rod end will easily separate from the steering knuckle, otherwise, a ball joint separator is needed. If you use the traditional pickle fork, be careful not to damage the rubber boot.

2) Using 2 wrenches, loosen the locking nut on the tie rod end, count the number of threads exposed (or measure, if you prefer), and remove the tie rod end.

3) Remove the boot exposing the inner tie rod.

4) Now here is where it gets interesting. Please note the design of the inner tie rod:

http://www.volvopartsdirect.com/item-image.asp?imageUrl=http://12.153.160.115/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/274179.jpg

Another thread mentioned the need for a 32mm wrench. This may not be a Volvo speciality tool, but personally I don't have a 32mm (about 1 1/4in) open end, flare nut or crow foot wrench in my garage. Perhaps a large adjustable wrench could work, but I think that they were invented to ruin fasteners. If access is limited, I don't know if any of these will work very well anyway. K-D and Lisle make inner tie rod removal tools for $60 - 70, but the one that Sears sells does not list 1 1/4 in as one of the tie rod sizes available. Might be cheaper on ebay, but after paying the usual ebay shipping charges, might cost more. If you can manage to remove this, you're done.[thumbup] Reassemble with new grease adjusting he tie rod end to the same number of exposed threads as before (guessing at the torque specs) and make sure you get an alignment when you are done. Since you went to all of this trouble, might want to replace the boot and the tie rod end; the latter are normal wear items, and failure can be serious to say the least.

I hope someone else has some more specific information. Alini, if you attempt this, let us know how it goes.

volvoshad
11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I stopped at Pep Boys today, and they carry the Lisle inner tie rod tool. It sort of resembles a giant oxygen sensor wrench. It slips over the inner tie rod, and then a crow foot wrench at the end engages the tie rod. It is used with a 1/2 inch drive, and I believe that the tool includes 5 different crow foot wrenches, so there should be one to fit a Volvo XC. It is a mere $55. Peeking under my car, I think it might be nearly impossible to access the inner tie rod without such a tool. The instructions do mention stabilizing the pinion as the tie rod is turned to avoid damage :eek: - makes sense.

Are there any mechanics out there to add any comments about this procedure? I thought for sure someone would know more about this than I.:confused: