PDA

View Full Version : Security cargo cover

Eric
11-10-2003, 08:20 PM
I just took delivery of our 2004 XC, but it had no security cargo cover (the pull over type) but came with a cargo net barrier.  The salesman said it doesn't come with it when you get the versatility package.  Checked the Volvo website and he was right.  I checked my 2004 OSD price list and it made no mention of it not coming with the versatility package.  Does anyone think I have any recourse since the price list didn't mention the deletion?  I already emailed customer service.

Also, I tried to get the Bi-Xenon lights raised a bit, but the dealer said they are not to tamper with the factory setting.  I saw a posting on how to do it yourself.

Thanks,

Eric  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

littlewaywelt
11-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Recourse? Probably not, the VCNA might throw you a freebie if you complain enough.  They aren't obligated to do anything since they have some fine print along the lines that states that they can change options and prices at any time.

Hiro's XC
11-11-2003, 09:05 AM
If you have the tan interior, I'll sell you the extra one I have, never used for $40+ shipping. Just email me off line. I have a ups account, so shipping shouldn't be too bad. I could get you a quote.

Always something with a new car.....

Thanks,  Jason

Art
11-11-2003, 02:06 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eric @ Nov. 10 2003,20:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just took delivery of our 2004 XC, but it had no security cargo cover (the pull over type) but came with a cargo net barrier. The salesman said it doesn&#39;t come with it when you get the versatility package. Checked the Volvo website and he was right. I checked my 2004 OSD price list and it made no mention of it not coming with the versatility package. Does anyone think I have any recourse since the price list didn&#39;t mention the deletion? I already emailed customer service.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Certainly worth a try. What&#39;s the worse that could happen? If that fails, I&#39;d seriously consider Jason&#39;s offer....sure beats the heck out of the one currently listed on ebay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42612&item=2441584935)

Toots!
11-12-2003, 01:17 PM
My security cover came off and got put in a closet the day I brought the car home from the dealer. It would just have gotten in the way of my frequent expansions of cargo area (by putting seats down), and was redundent in combination with my tinted windows.

If you want one you should go after it, based on your misunderstanding. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/unhappy.gif

Bluegrass-XC
01-31-2004, 11:45 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you have the tan interior, I&#39;ll sell you the extra one I have, never used for &#036;40+ shipping. Just email me off line. I have a ups account, so shipping shouldn&#39;t be too bad. I could get you a quote.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Jason,
Is the security cargo cover still available? &nbsp;Will it fit a 2000 XC? &nbsp;Since I just bought my XC 4 days ago, I&#39;m not familiar with the availability of accessories of this type, so I have no idea if this is even a good price or not. &nbsp;Let&#39;s discuss. &nbsp;PM or email me. &nbsp;Thanks&#33;

Mike
Bluegrass-XC

jst4fun
01-31-2004, 10:24 PM
that must be a change.

I took delivery of our 2004 XC70 in July 2003, and it did come with pull out, horizontal, cargo cover, that covers the storage area.

Mine did not come with any kind of vertical netting. &nbsp;I ended up buying the vertical, fold up net, as an accessory.

And I do have the versatility package &#33;

however, I have realized after a few months, that the pull out (horizontal) cargo cover that we got is a pain in the butt when you want to use the third row seat. &nbsp;you have to take it completely out of the car before you can use the seat.

so, it probably does make more sense to have a vertical net, instead of the pull out cover as the standard option, if you have the versatility package. &nbsp;because the net can be taken down and stuffed between the 2nd and 3rd row seats easily.

anyway, like i said, maybe they changed their default with the versatility package.

Raynald
02-01-2004, 12:09 PM
The cargo cover should be use for hiding things in the cago area, somewhat bizarre since pulling the cover means that you want to hide something... to possible burglar... Ring a bell? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jgoldsmith
02-01-2004, 07:13 PM
The literature on the 04&#39;s contradicts some what is in the current cars, but it does say that the versatility package deletes the cargo cover.

NeuDaddi
02-02-2004, 11:45 AM
I would trade my cargo cover for a safety net in a heartbeat. &nbsp;Its too much trouble to pull it out and secure it and it seems like you are basically saying that you have something to hide by merely using it. &nbsp;Plus, I find that it makes some noise while I am driving if it is extended. &nbsp;The clips at the end aren&#39;t exactly snug in the back of the car, so it bounces around, which can get pretty irritating on a bumpy surface.

I wish the connections to secure it when extended where as good as the ones that fasten it to the car.

Chipshot
02-02-2004, 12:17 PM
I&#39;m happy with the cargo cover and am only rarely bothered by noise from it. &nbsp;My new car has the Touring Package but seems to have been delivered without the cargo protection net (which I used several times on my XC70 despite finding it fussy to deploy).

Ab_Fab
02-02-2004, 07:39 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its too much trouble to pull it out and secure it and it seems like you are basically saying that you have something to hide by merely using it. Plus, I find that it makes some noise while I am driving if it is extended. The clips at the end aren&#39;t exactly snug in the back of the car, so it bounces around, which can get pretty irritating on a bumpy surface.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I am very happy with my cargo cover.

It takes no time at all to secure (less than half a second I guess), I have absolutely no noises when it is extended and it does not bounce around at all. Maybe there different locking mechanisms or maybe you have a fault?

Also it is just my perception, but to me the car does not look &quot;finished&quot; when it is not pulled out. Sort of the same as leaving the seats folded down, or leaving the door open on the glovebox&#33;

Cheers
Neil

ifnt420
02-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Mine rattles like crazy&#33;&#33;&#33;
I hate it, and my dealer has already replaced it twice.
Still rattles, a very poor design IMHO. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sneaky2.gif

mhoy
02-03-2004, 09:28 AM
When I took delivery of my 04 xc70 in Oct I had the folding cargo net but was missing the cargo cover. The dealer was happy to give me a cover. Not sure if it was missing or if they just wanted me to be happy. I have the versitility package amongst other goodies.

BTW: A thread over at Sweedspeed suggests that some carefully placed sticky backed felt can make a world of difference for the cargo cover. I&#39;ve yet to try it out, but my cover is also noisy.

ifnt420
02-03-2004, 11:06 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mhoy @ Feb. 03 2004,08:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW: A thread over at Sweedspeed suggests that some carefully placed sticky backed felt can make a world of difference for the cargo cover.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yeah, I also read that post on SS.
I guess you are also experiencing the squealing mouse in your trunk too huh? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
But I haven&#39;t had any luck finding any stick on felt anywhere..
Also, are there any spray-on felt that can also be used?

Have you tried WD40?

Thanks&#33;

NeuDaddi
02-03-2004, 11:55 AM
The noise, at least in my car, isn&#39;t a squeak that would be solved by WD40. &nbsp;Its due to the rattling of the loose end of the cover, the end that is pulled out and &quot;hooked&quot; in the rear of the car. &nbsp;Lining the &quot;hook&quot; area with felt might help deaden the rattling sound, though. &nbsp;Its not a bad idea.

Chipshot
02-03-2004, 01:29 PM
In a pinch, you could also try wedging a cotton swab (AKA &quot;Q-Tip) in there to reduce the motion.

I don&#39;t think the cargo cover is that bad a design. &nbsp;As with many designs, there are trade offs. &nbsp;Here they include solid grip, convenience, and cost. &nbsp;How many people would want to make the cover harder to engage in exchange for making it a little quieter? &nbsp;How many would be willing to pay more for it in exchange for making it a little quieter? &nbsp;Welcome to the world of automotive design&#33;

Ab_Fab
02-03-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi All,

This rattling obviously is a fairly common problem. I understand your dilemna, rattles drive me crazy&#33;

Just FYI, on the cargo cover in my 02, the tension that created by pulling the cover out is such that it sits very firmly. Am I right is understanding yours is quite loose and there is not much tension?

Cheers
Neil

NeuDaddi
02-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Nope, actually mine seems fairly taught at well. &nbsp;There seems to be good tension on the cover. &nbsp;But, the end still rattles around. &nbsp;And, while I would accept a trade-off of ease-of-use for tight fit, I don&#39;t feel that I&#39;ve really gotten either in the case of the cargo cover. &nbsp;Its an unwieldly pain in the ass to get it into the car and I can&#39;t ever get it pulled out and connected without a hassle. &nbsp;I always find it difficult to get the ends lined up properly.

Maybe I just have a crappy cargo cover then?

mhoy
02-05-2004, 10:17 AM
You can find sticky backed felt in a hardware store (OSH, HomeDepot) as used for under vases, objects of art, etc. to keep them from scratching surfaces.

An alternative would be tthe soft felt part of self sticking velcro.

My 97 4Runners cargo cover never rattled over 50,000 miles...but the XC is MUCH nicer to drive. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

littlewaywelt
02-05-2004, 11:40 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ifnt420 @ Feb. 03 2004,13:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But I haven&#39;t had any luck finding any stick on felt anywhere..[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
try your local hardwear store, home depot, furniture refurbushing place, framing store, crafts store

Estonia
02-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Interesting about the rattles. &nbsp;Mine tore in the first few months of use (at the end toward the back window); it&#39;s coming off from left to right. &nbsp;I envision using Duct tape at some point soon . . . or replacing it a day before my warranty expires.