PDA

View Full Version : What's inside your transmission?

MoeB
11-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Got my trans fluid analysis back yesterday.
http://tinyurl.com/ydj2lo
Back story... Recently bought this car with 45k miles on it. Single-owner vehicle with complete service history, all done at local Volvo dealer. Probably driven by a mom if child car seat impressions in back cushion and low miles are any indication. Car in very clean condition, runs well, has no apparent shifting issues.

I plan to call the lab and get more info on universal averages, but it's pretty clear to me that this transmission should have had the fluid changed many, many miles ago. :(

RB's
11-10-2006, 06:46 AM
I just changed the ATF and Dif fluids on my Wife's car (Benz) at 50K. It was NASTY, although it was supposed to be a lifetime fluid. I can notice how much better it shifts now.

I'm probably about to do the same with the XC, although I haven't driven it 1000 miles yet.

Best Regards

XC70, Silver, Graphite
S430, Silver, Charcoal
530i, Orient Blue, Dove Gray
Taurus, Jest keeps on tickin!

gibbons
11-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Interesting! That's why I switched my ATF at 15K miles. To recap, when I took mine out, it looked fine when it was a thin film on the dipstick. However, get it in volume, like I did when I poured it in a clear glass jar, and it was a dark, opaque mahagony color. I left it sitting in the corner for like a year, and black stuff settled out to the bottom of the jar, and it remained opaque. My next change will be at 50K miles.

It looks like lead was the major driver of the high reading, but lead tends to lubricate harder metals. Remember when gas had to have lead in it to lubricate valve guides? The iron figure is kinda high too, that's the main ingredient in steel. It could be worse, at least they didn't find any weapons grade plutonium :D

MoeB
11-10-2006, 08:29 AM
It looks like lead was the major driver of the high reading, but lead tends to lubricate harder metals. Remember when gas had to have lead in it to lubricate valve guides? The iron figure is kinda high too, that's the main ingredient in steel. It could be worse, at least they didn't find any weapons grade plutonium :D

Spoke to analysis tech who said the aluminum is mostly torque converter wear and the iron, copper and lead are mainly clutch/band wear. He wasn't concerned so much about any one metal over others, but did say the high insolubles is a major problem. He also said "now that the fluid and filter have been changed...." When I told him there was no filter I could hear him gasp.

Universal averages are based on 15k FILTERED fluid life. I'll be adding an inline filter and pulling samples at 5k for a while. WTH was Volvo thinking when they chose to go filterless on these trannys??[nonono]

volvoshad
11-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Volvo uses lifetime transmission fluid...which lasts about 30,000 miles. I thought Volvos had a longer life expectancy...:rolleyes:

Please let us know about your in line filter; I will probably do the same on my XC.

RedXC
11-10-2006, 07:28 PM
wow thanks for the data. I change my ATF whenever it starts to get brown.

MoeB
11-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Please let us know about your in line filter; I will probably do the same on my XC.

Will do. So far I've been looking at the Magnefine inline, the B&M spin-on (will toss the cheap Fram that comes with it and use Hastings or Baldwin if I go this route), and the various bypass options like Frantz. The Frantz costs 5 times more than the other two, but will do better job of filtering. There are also upscale spin-ons like the Racor LFS, but I'm not sure it's worth it on this transmission given the abuse it's already seen. Maybe if it was newer.

MD-Daddy
11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
It could be worse, at least they didn't find any weapons grade plutonium :D

Not yet, but there might be some in the neighbors yard! Lets all invade and go look!!

jpalaska
11-15-2006, 11:49 PM
LOL.
We'll fix the transmission over there so we won't have to fix it here.

v70+xc70
11-16-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm a big fan of changing tranny fluid every 15k.

Only a small portion drains every time you do a fluid change. Even at 100k you still have some of the fluid that the factory poured in.

howardc64
11-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Spoke to analysis tech who said the aluminum is mostly torque converter wear and the iron, copper and lead are mainly clutch/band wear. He wasn't concerned so much about any one metal over others, but did say the high insolubles is a major problem. He also said "now that the fluid and filter have been changed...." When I told him there was no filter I could hear him gasp.

Universal averages are based on 15k FILTERED fluid life. I'll be adding an inline filter and pulling samples at 5k for a while. WTH was Volvo thinking when they chose to go filterless on these trannys??[nonono]

Would be great to know how easy to install one. Sounds like a good idea.

MoeB
11-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Would be great to know how easy to install one. Sounds like a good idea.

Inline is easy, just splice it into return line from cooler. Magnefine is the popular choice. Installs like this:

http://www.emergingent.com/Images/filterinstallationpsp1.gif

A bypass filter is slightly more involved since you have to mount the filter unit somewhere and route the cooler lines to it. Still relatively easy. Here's a typical setup (this one is for engine oil, but essentially same for transmission):

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/dualremote_dia_600px.gif

I'm currently leaning toward a bypass like the Frantz or Racor LFS. They're more expensive but they do a much better job and it's cheaper in the long run than inline (which requires replacing the whole thing every 15K or so).