PDA

View Full Version : Buying an XC70

kramska
11-06-2006, 07:41 PM
After my last car died, I by chance became the owner of a '78 245DL. It's an awesome car with 234k miles. My brother had it in a field. It started right up after not running for six months. I play swedish folk music and language tapes for it - I think it makes it run smoother. It runs great, but at the same time I am looking for something newer.

I am looking at an 01 XC70 with 18k miles at $18K, and yes I read all the posts about potential issues. My question is, how do I find out what month it was made?

I guess it's between the 01 and an 03 or 04 for a few thousand more, and more miles.

Sam

philosophicaldreamer
11-07-2006, 07:27 AM
I believe there should be a sticker that contains the information you seek on the driver's side door.

Ta-ta, j.

The Barron
11-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Hm...a 6 year old car with 18k on it? Was it driven very little every week, or not driven for long periods of time?

If the later, I would be careful, cars that sit don't do too well.

(Not that I know too much about volvo's in particular, but cars in general don't do well sitting. Light driving good, sitting bad)

funglenn
11-12-2006, 06:10 AM
After my last car died, I by chance became the owner of a '78 245DL. It's an awesome car with 234k miles. My brother had it in a field. It started right up after not running for six months. I play swedish folk music and language tapes for it - I think it makes it run smoother. It runs great, but at the same time I am looking for something newer.

I am looking at an 01 XC70 with 18k miles at $18K, and yes I read all the posts about potential issues. My question is, how do I find out what month it was made?

I guess it's between the 01 and an 03 or 04 for a few thousand more, and more miles.

Sam

I don't know where you are, but you can really get an 03 04 for about 18k, even if they have about 30k thousand miles. It is the rubber bushings, mounts, etc that will fail anyway due to age of the car. I would not get such an old car for almost 20 thousand dollars, sounds very very high, even if the miles are low (assuming it is not a fraud--being done to you!!)

my two cents... although I love my 01, and paid 22.5K for it 2 years ago with 26,500 miles in Washington DC. You really are getting overcharged...