PDA

View Full Version : Reduced Engine Performance Light

10-16-2006, 04:55 AM
I own a 03 XC70 and tried starting it the other day and it started and then quit on me. After i cranked it again it started up with no problem but go thte reduced engine performance light.

The car ran fine and after about a minute, the light went off and there are no messages in the listing.

Question is, do I need to bring the car to the dealer for this? I am having no issues with it now.

Thanks!

jbl
10-16-2006, 10:33 AM
If the error message stays away theres no hurry to check it up. But if its was my car i would visit the dealer for reading the codes. Just to be sure.

stevel0923
11-18-2006, 03:37 PM
I am having the exact same problem where it took 4 cranks before the engine started. I got the reduced engine performance warning until I shut off the car. Not really sure whats going on? Wondering if I should take the car in but I just brought in last week for the 52500 tuneup and brake job.

stevel0923
11-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, I just got back from the dealer for my "Reduced Engine Performance" light problem and here's what I found out.

The tech plugged in the computer to the car's on-board diagnostic which reported trouble codes ECM-91B7 and ECM91A7 for fault with the throttle valve. The tech exclaimed that he has never seen these diagnostic code before with the throttle control. He gave me three options on addressing the problem:

1. Update software for the ECM (30677031)
2. Throttle cleaning
3. Throttle replacement

Given the short amount of time I have to the holiday travels and limited budget after installing a set of Nokian tyres a day before, I went with option 1 for now. We'll see if this solves anything but if it doesn't, we'll have to go to option 2. We hope that we will never have to reach option 3.

Art
11-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Here is some data relating to those ETM trouble codes that stevel0923 alluded to earlier.

ECM-91A7 (Electronic Throttle Module Internal Fault)

This fault is detected by the ETM and uses the power consumption of the throttle motor to determine possible high friction in the throttle. The fault is also triggered if the ETM detects that there is too great a difference between its target throttle position and the actual position. This fault can be caused by dirt built up in the throttle housing or by a low battery voltage.

Downloading the latest ETS software will improve the systems tolerance of these conditions using some of the new functionalities that give greater potentiometer accuracy and throttle control.

ECM-91B7 (Electronic Throttle Module Internal Fault)

This fault code indicates that the throttle blade was not in the expected position when the ETM was powered up. This monitor is sensitive to small differences between the throttle position sensors and minor differences from the mechanical rest position. If one potentiometer shows that the throttle is not in the expected position, the fault will be posted. Check the fault codes intermittence by looking at the counters. If there is a low degree of intermittence (the fault has occurred often) the throttle should be checked that no foreign objects are blocking the throttle blade.

Downloading the latest ETS software will increase this monitors tolerance to minor differences in the throttle potentiometers by requiring that both potentiometers show that the throttle blade is out of position before the fault is triggered.

More details on the subject of ETS troubleshooting can be found here (http://volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/fuel-system-electronic-throttle-system-troubleshooting.pdf).

The ETS software upgrade for MY1999-2002 can be viewed in the attachment below.

NYArtist
11-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I just bought my Volvo 2003 XC and everything was checked, new timing belt, oil change and today I drove it for the first time and this evening the car wouldn't start. Finally I turned everything off and it did start. The message was, Low Engine Performance. My mechanic checked out the car before I bought it and now I have this problem. Is this serious? I can't afford a new engine. Thanks.

Thames
01-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Same problem here again this morning... any idea ?

guyeye
01-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Check all your hoses and pipes. I got that once, started freaking out and it turned out to be the intake pipe had come off the ETM. That, of course is your "best case scenario"...if that's not it, it's time to get a DICE unit or get your codes read by a dealer or a Volvo indy who has one. It could be a whole host of things.

v70+xc70
10-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Came up today on ours then went away. Will any error codes still be there?

Scopeman
10-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Yes, these may well be stored codes.

v70+xc70
10-30-2016, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Wonder if my mechanic can read the code or if its a dealer computer bend over while we over charge you....