PDA

View Full Version : My New 2004 XC arrived but cant get into Tailgate?

Oiler Country
10-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi was curious if anyone has any suggestions or ideas why my new 2004 XC rear tailgate wont open? And what someone would suggest to solve this problem. I am sure from the photos sent of the car it did work recently. Any suggestions would help. Other than that I love the car. Only needed front Brake pads and rotor's machined. I can live with that, but now if I could get into the back rear tailgate.

Oiler Country[thumbup]

dr.tb.xc
10-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Others, including me, have had this problem at times in the past. In my first XC's case, the problem was that the cargo mat had slid back a couple of inches (as it is CONSTANTLY trying to do, much to my annoyance) and become trapped in the hatch as it was slammed.

You may first try pushing down hard on the bottom edge of the hatch, then immediately locking, then unlocking, the hatch with the remote. If that doesn't free things up I'd suggest pulling the cargo bay mat free from the inside of the cabin.

If this isn't the problem in your case it may be time to visit the stealership. You're still under warranty, yes?

-Todd

RedXC
10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Possible a jamed electric lock! Do you have the door lock indicator pin at the tailgate? Which is like the one at the front, if you do pull on it.

Oiler Country
10-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi thanks for the advice so far. I first looked at the carpet and moved it. Does not seem to be the problem.

Secondly Red XC I can not find this door lock indicator

Do you have the door lock indicator pin "

Maybe I am missing something could you explain where this is again and what it is suppose to do?

Thanks

Oiler Country[thumbup]

mbsl98
10-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Not on the tailgate, but just FYI re: your new brakes. Volvo's have a long history of waarping machined rotors. They don't come with much reserve material. Anyway, since you already did it, if they do warp, just chalk it up to experience and not to the car.

On teh tailgate, I'd second teh post on pushing in hard on the tailgate while unlocking. This often works, and if it does, it suggests that the latch needs to be adjusted slightly.

Oiler Country
10-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks mbsl98 for the info on the rotors I guess I will wait and see if they warp. As for the tailgate not opening no luck on any suggestions. I spoke to a few Volvo specified shops in Edmonton and no one will give a guaranteed price on door they say it can take from 1 to 3 hours at approx $100 per hour, plus parts just to take back tailgate panel off from inside. Is this necessary or am I getting the run around. I cant believe there is not an easier way to fix tailgate. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Oiler Country[thumbup]

Art
10-17-2006, 10:42 AM
My guess is that the techs may want to inspect key components such as the connector for the tailgate control switch or even the lock motor itself. The only method of access is to remove the inner tailgate panel. Sometimes continuous slamming of the tailgate over time can cause mechanisms/parts to malfunction or fail.

Oiler Country
10-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi Art I agreed with you on this, my wife is taking it in tomorrow. I choose to go through Volvo dealer on this one, due to thinking that they would do less damage to car or be able to access tailgate easier than someone who would be experimenting on my new car. The only thing that scares me they can't even tell me how long it will take then to get into it. I will give you full report tomorrow night.

Cheers

Oiler Country [thumbup]

Oiler Country
10-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi my tailgate problem has been solved. It turns out I needed a new OEM tailgate latch to be installed. They told me this is very rare however. The cost to fix was approx $365 CAD dollars. Now I can use my wagon as a wagon.

Cheers

Oiler Country [thumbup]

mbsl98
10-23-2006, 05:56 AM
Good news on teh tailgate front (and the wipers). Any info on how they accessed teh tailgate while it was closed? Any signs of damage to panel;s, etc? It's one of those things that might be nice to know at some point. By teh way, you wiper stalk means the control arm beside the steering wheel. It has a switch mechanism at the end of it as well, and a pretty easy item to swap out.

Oiler Country
10-23-2006, 10:28 PM
HI mbsl98 yes they did have to take the rear tailgate apart from the inside, including the panel on the back. As what I can all tell you cant tell they even went in. No tell tale signs of damage or loose parts. The car seems like it was never tampered with. Labor 1.5 hours =$149.25, part $195. Thanks for info on wiper stalk, they haven't given me exact quote yet waiting for part still. They think approx $192.

Cheers

Oiler Country [thumbup]

Ron N
10-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Oiler Country,

I know this is not a Volvo related comment......But I have to put my 2 cents worth.. Go Cane's !!!

Die hard hockey fan here in NH. Have been a season ticket holder for Lowell Lock Monsters (now the Devils) for the past 8 yrs. Enjoyed watching most the current Hurricane players during the lockout. These players included, Staal, Commodore, Ward, Adams, Ladd, Bayda and LaRose.

Sorry Oiler fans!

But you do have a great coach in MacT. As you know he played his college hockey at University of Lowell - this is my hometown. I was fortunate enough to watch he play hockey back then.

Glad Hockey is Back !!

Art
10-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey Guys,

I'll try and keep my OT post short and to the point. :) There are a number of members on this board who also happen to be die hard pucksters and would love nothing better than to exchange a bit of rival banter. I know Taylor is a huge fan of the Nucks and TomH of the Avs and since both teams play in the same division, it makes for some interesting discussion at times. With Ron N as a voice for the Canes and Oiler Country cheering on, you know who, then it should be a blast! [thumbup]

As for me, well I have to admit that the Oil are my sentimental favorites to beat the Flames even though I reside exactly midway between the two arch rival cities. ;)

I've started a new thread in the OT section here (http://volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66246#post66246) so have at it!! :D

Back to regular programming.

Hi my tailgate problem has been solved. It turns out I needed a new OEM tailgate latch to be installed. Now I can use my wagon as a wagon.

OC,

Glad to hear that the tailgate issue is behind you now. :D