PDA

View Full Version : Correct Winter tire size for 97-00 V70XC

mosearch
10-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I am a bit uncertain as to the CORRECT size for winter tires SUITABLE for use with chains, for the 97-00 series V70XC, using the stock 15" rims.:(
The sticker on the gas cap door lists 205/65/R15 as the correct size. But the manual says that cars using CHAINS (required by law during storms here in the Sierras) should use "195/65/R15" tires. What is really odd about this is the diameter difference between the two is a significant half inch, and I can't see why I really need a smaller diameter tire just because of occasional chain use. What do you all you snow state drivers think? Does anybody actually run 195/65/15s? Do you notice it in the speedo?

mrscullini
10-13-2006, 12:59 PM
why would you chain up? you will be driving from marin to tahoe on 80, which is kept pretty damn clean in the winter. even during a storm it is clean. i would recommend a good m&s tire, something with a lot of siping. you would be amazed at how a well siped tire handles on slick surfaces.

something i just thought of, how do chains affect the vc? let's assume a chain link is 3/8" tall, this would increase the diameter of the front wheels by 3/4". that is a pretty big difference. i will have to check my manual tonight.

mosearch
10-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, to be perfectly honest, there is no practical reason to use chains with a V70XC all wheel drive except under the rarest conditions. However, there are quite a few storm occasions where the CHP REQUIRE chains and enforce the requirement with a roadside inspection. Since I am often heading to or away from the mountains during a storm (it's a skiing-thang), I really don't want to be turned around merely for lack of chains. The cable chains only add about 5/16 on an inch to each tire surface; in theory. Anybody out there had clearance problems running cable chains on 205/65/15 snow tires?:confused:

mrscullini
10-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Well, to be perfectly honest, there is no practical reason to use chains with a V70XC all wheel drive except under the rarest conditions. However, there are quite a few storm occasions where the CHP REQUIRE chains and enforce the requirement with a roadside inspection. Since I am often heading to or away from the mountains during a storm (it's a skiing-thang), I really don't want to be turned around merely for lack of chains. The cable chains only add about 5/16 on an inch to each tire surface; in theory. Anybody out there had clearance problems running cable chains on 205/65/15 snow tires?:confused:

it extremely rare that an r3 chain requirement (awd/4wd and chains) is posted. i have lived in truckee for better than 10 years and i can't remember but 1 or 2 times.

chain requirements are also enforced with caltrans check points but awd and snow rated tires are allowed to pass better than 9 times out of 10. on the other hand.

don't get me wrong, it is a good idea to carry chains. i am more concerned about the differential in the diameters between the front and rear.

mosearch
10-13-2006, 02:46 PM
I am sure that chain requirements on highway 80 around Truckee are VERY rare.
However, I have run into them so on 50 heading into south lake Tahoe, on 108 heading for dodge ridge, and on 198 heading into Sequoia National Park. Each time it was chains or go home.

I also worry about the differential diameter front to back, but since the road is also very slippery when chain controls are on, and the miles involved are very few, I tend to think it won't cause damage. At least I hope it won't.

Thanks for pitching in with your observations. I am leaning toward the standard 205/65/15 with the very occasional possibility of cable-chains.

mosearch
10-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Mrscullini,
While we are checking into this tire spec., I wonder if you could compare your Owner's manual and tire spec badge (mine is on the gas-cap door). The thing is, mine don't really agree about what the optimum tire dimensions are for my Y2K V70AWD XC, with stock 15" wheels.
The Owners Manual says that AWD models (including theAWD XC) should either have 195/65 R15 or 205/55 R16 tire and wheel sets. Either of these has a 25.0 inch diameter. So one might presume the speedo is optimised to that resultant circumference.[cool2]
HOWEVER, the badge-label on the gas cap door of my car claims the tires are 205/65/R15, which has a 25.5 inch diameter!:eek:
So the way I see life (in absolutes) one of these figures is wrong.[pico]
What numbers are you getitng at the gas-cap door and in the manual?
Anybody else want to weigh in with their volvo-supplied specs??
-mosearch

mrscullini
10-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Mrscullini,
While we are checking into this tire spec., I wonder if you could compare your Owner's manual and tire spec badge (mine is on the gas-cap door). The thing is, mine don't really agree about what the optimum tire dimensions are for my Y2K V70AWD XC, with stock 15" wheels.
The Owners Manual says that AWD models (including theAWD XC) should either have 195/65 R15 or 205/55 R16 tire and wheel sets. Either of these has a 25.0 inch diameter. So one might presume the speedo is optimised to that resultant circumference.[cool2]
HOWEVER, the badge-label on the gas cap door of my car claims the tires are 205/65/R15, which has a 25.5 inch diameter!:eek:
So the way I see life (in absolutes) one of these figures is wrong.[pico]
What numbers are you getitng at the gas-cap door and in the manual?
Anybody else want to weigh in with their volvo-supplied specs??
-mosearch

i have an se so i have 16" wheels. i will check tonight though for comparative purposes and let you know.

nlemerise
10-14-2006, 07:03 AM
I'm on the other side of the mountain (Nevada) and I have a set of 195x15 M+S mounted on seperate rims for the winter and a set of cables that fit those tires. About December, I will take the Michelin Hydroedge (16") tires/rims off and switch to the winter tire/rims. I have had to use the cables a couple of times to get over the passes and never had any problem at all. When you travel in rural Nevada, there are no chain checks...you better know :eek: when to put them on!

mosearch
10-14-2006, 08:22 AM
nlemerise, would those tires you mention be 195/65/R15 which is a 25.0" diameter, or 195/70/R15 which would be 25.7" (and closest to a 205/60/R15)?
& What size are your summer Michelin Hydroedge (16") tires? 205/55/R16? 195/60/R16?:confused: