PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on aftermarket keyless remotes??

jweiss
10-10-2006, 12:30 PM
So here it is... I just got my 2002 xc70 and I need to get a 2nd remote. Ok, I don't 'need' one but that is not the issue. I called my local dealer and total charge will be about $200 with programming (ouch). I did some searching online and found this

Magnadyne M2A Keyless Entry System, 3 Channel
http://www.etaag.com/items/item158.htm

$48 beans and all I need to do is get it installed. I have a few friends who do that sort of thing so I feel cinfident that they won't fry my system.

Has anyone had any experience with an aftermarket setup? or does anyone have any other remote suggestions?

Thanks again

BillAileo
10-10-2006, 02:07 PM
If you go this route I would guess at the end you will wish you had just paid the dealer the $200. Adding a new controller system in order to be able to add an additional low cost remoter will, in my uneducated opinion, be fairly complex and may interfere with the present controller assuming you plan on continuing to use your present remote.

Good luck with whatever course you take.

Bill

billy780
10-11-2006, 07:05 AM
I would have to agree, pay the dealer for the key, I have seem many nightmares with these aftermarket systems installed in cars and then there being problems with no starts and lights, the list goes on.

littlewaywelt
10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
pay the dealer for the key

agreed.
...and don't buy any off ebay unless the key includes the original packaging which will be needed to reprogram it.