PDA

View Full Version : Best Place for Extra set of Rims?

Oiler Country
10-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Hi I was curious if anyone had any suggestions or comments where I could pick up an extra set of rims for my 2004 XC being shipped to me right now. As winter is approaching here in Edmonton Alberta I hope to have and extra set of rims and winter tires before the snow flies.

My local dealer wants to charge me $160 each for a steel Volvo rim. I think this is a bit hi for a basic rim that still needs hubcaps. I am not to keen on hubcaps either.

I would prefer true Hub centric rims as the dealer told me if I use a cheap $5 dollar spacer on a non Hub-centric rim there is a chance the AWD system may be damaged. I would hate to see this happen on my new car. Is my dealer just trying to up sell me or is he correct?

Any insight where to by extra set of rims ( Steel or Aluminum) greatly appreciated either in Canada or USA. For a fair price.

Thanks Again [thumbup]

Jack
10-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I picked up a set of take-off's for my V50 from Volvo of Orange County in California. They had a listing on eBay for one that said to call for others. They were US$300 shipped to Colorado. I don't see anything good on eBay at the moment, but it never hurts to check now and then. Make sure you don't get S40/V50 wheels because they have a smaller diameter hub.

Last year I bought a set of Borbets with hubcentric rings from TireRack for my XC70's snow tires. They are the first wheels I've ever had with the rings. They work ok though I think they vibrate a bit. TR sent me some new rings that I'll test in a couple weeks when the snows go back on.

Volvo also has a $200 rebate in the US (don't know about Canada) for a set of the 17" Oreanders.

kat
10-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi I was curious if anyone had any suggestions or comments where I could pick up an extra set of rims for my 2004 XC being shipped to me right now. ...Thanks Again [thumbup]

I had the same requirement and picked up 4 extra original XC70 wheels and tires for USD 600 from ebay and that included shipping. They were not in the same pristine condition as my own ones but as they are for winter use that is not really an issue. So strongly suggest setting up a search on ebay and put on an email notification.

Art
10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the site OC :)

With winter just around the corner, you might find yourself stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to locating a set of oem hub centric alloy wheels in that price range. In most instances, shipping costs/duties/exchange for cheaper Volvo wheels stateside might negate any savings you might expect to pocket so biting the bullet for those steel versions from the dealer could be your best bet. I believe that John@CdnRockies acquired a set of winter steel rims from the Calgary dealer so he might want to chime in with his thoughts.

That being said, the cheapest lug centric alloys that Tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/) sells to fit your XC price out around $500 Cdn/set incl shipping. Might be worth the effort to check them out along with those Borbets that Jack referred to. No doubt that they would require a matching set of hub centric rings.

Go Oilers! [thumbup]

v70+xc70
10-08-2006, 08:44 PM
I got a set with winter tires mounted and balenced from Tirerack.

Oiler Country
10-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Just to make sure I have all the terms correct, Hub centric rims are what Volvo makes. And Non Hub centric rims are ones you have to use rings?

And Art when you said

"That being said, the cheapest lug centric alloys that Tirerack sells to fit your XC price out around $500 Cdn/set incl shipping. Might be worth the effort to check them out along with those Borbets that Jack referred to. No doubt that they would require a matching set of hub centric rings. "

Does this mean Tire rack sells True Hub Centric rims so you do not need rings for Approx. $500 CAD?

I took everyone's advice and did some research and found some rims from a company in the states that sells Refurbished or Refinished True Volvo rims. He said the coatings are guaranteed for a year. Any thoughts on these? Do you think they will start to peel because the original Volvo coating have been replaced.

And Secondly I found some VOLVO OEM WHEELS XC70 are these true Volvo rims? I am not sure what OEM means. Could someone help with all the confusion. By the way the OEM rims are about $200 American more than refurbished rims.

Thanks Again

Oiler Country [thumbup]

Art
10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Hub centric rims are what Volvo makes. And Non Hub centric rims are ones you have to use rings?

That’s correct. Lug centric simply refers to non hub centric wheels where the lug studs hold the wheels to the hub of the car and essentially support the weight of the vehicle. Hub centric wheels essentially take that load stress off of the lugs. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) or factory wheels will always guarantee that your wheels will be centered because they are, in fact, hub centric.

I don’t have any experience with respect to refurbished wheels, but this article (http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Features/article_83.html) seems fairly convincing.

I also came across this complete set of Erinus wheels (http://cgi.ebay.ca/VOLVO-OEM-WHEELS-XC70-V70-16-x-7-RIMS-SET-OF-4_W0QQitemZ140037214610QQihZ004QQcategoryZ43956QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem) the other day just shortly before the auction for them ended. Seemed like a fair price at the time.

John@CdnRockies
10-10-2006, 09:33 AM
I finally opted for a cheap set of black steel rims for our XC. They were $65 per rim from Kal-O-Tire in Calgary along with $10 for a wheel cover from Canadian Tire. I had looked at buying Xenia's from Volvo ($500+ each) but figured the addtional cost was just not worth it.

I recognize the steel rims are heavier but haven't noticed any difference in handling - and I do tend to drive pretty quickly in corners.

John

hewinutah
10-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I am not sure what OEM means.

O.E.M.
Original Equipment Manufacturer

So "Volvo OEM" wheels are made by/for Volvo.

markwemple
10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
www.car-part.com

Jack
10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
A minor clarification of earlier posts. The OEM Volvo wheels are cast/milled to the correct hub diameter. Most aftermarket wheels, like my Borbets from TireRack, are cast with an oversize hub opening and use an adaptor ring (nylon or metal) to fit a specific hub diameter. They are hub-centric too.

FWIW, the OEM Xenia wheels on my XC70 were also made by Borbet.

Art
10-10-2006, 09:50 PM
I finally opted for a cheap set of black steel rims for our XC. They were $65 per rim from Kal-O-Tire in Calgary along with $10 for a wheel cover from Canadian Tire.

They match well with the WRs, John.

[thumbup]
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/NokianWR.jpg

Oiler Country
10-10-2006, 10:55 PM
HI John thanks for the info. I was curious about what you said here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally opted for a cheap set of black steel rims for our XC. They were $65 per rim from Kal-O-Tire in Calgary along with $10 for a wheel cover from Canadian Tire. I had looked at buying Xenia's from Volvo ($500+ each) but figured the additional cost was just not worth it.

Are these rims from Kal Tire for $65 actual true hub centric rims or are you using rings with them? Do you notice any vibrations with them? And do you have a part number for them so I can call them and see if I can get them in Edmonton.

Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing, do you think it really matters to have true Hub centric rims or not, my friend is in a Race Club and he races his Subaru STi at and he tells me he uses cheap plastic $5 rings and they work fine instead of the expensive True Hub centric Rims for his STi?

Bye the way my car is in Edmonton I should be able to pick it up on Friday I am so thrilled. Once I get it I will do the winter rims ASAP.

Thanks Again

Oiler Country[thumbup]

John@CdnRockies
10-11-2006, 07:12 AM
I will check with Kal-O-Tire on Friday to get you the rim part number (I'm in Vancouver today/tomorrow). These are the properly milled rims (i.e. yes, they are true hub centric) of which there are relatively few suppliers. I have had no problems with them and drive quite a bit on the highway (95,000 kms over 18 months).

As Art's picture shows, the tires and rim covers actually are reasonably attractive.

John

Oiler Country
10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks John, yes that is what I was concerned about if they were true Hub centric rims. If you can get that part number that would be greatly appreciated. And I do agree with Art the wheel combination does look good. John are those the all season Nokians? Bye the way my car is still inside the Box Car in Edmonton hopefully should have it by end of week.

Oiler Country[thumbup]

John@CdnRockies
10-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Howdy Oiler, I checked with the Kal-O-Tire dealer who kindly printed another copy of my original invoice (dated October 2005). The steels rims were actually C$105 each, not the $60 I remembered. Their part number is #41658.

These are basic rims which would still need a cover. From a weight perspective, they are pretty similar to the stock Volvo rims which came with the car.

I ordered the pure winter (snowflake emblazoned) tires with an extra wide width at $202 each. The invoice wording is: P235/60R 16100H Nokian Hakka WR. Work fine in our Rocky Mountain environment.

Best regards,

John

Oiler Country
10-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks John for the Info. I will cross refernce those numbers here in Edmonton. Bye the way I picked up my car today. It was well worth the wait.

Thanks

Oiler Country

Oiler Country
10-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Just to update I decided on ordering another set of Xenia rims from the states. The rims have been refurbished however. They are suppose to run true and have a brand new coated finish like the original OEM's rims from Volvo, like what I have on the car now. They will be in next week they said. Now I have to make decision if these are mint rims as described should I use them for summer and use the OEM Xenia's on car now for winter rims since they have already seen 2 years of use.

Cheers

Oiler Country [thumbup]

mbsl98
10-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Hi Oiler,
Do you know if your XC has tire pressure monitoring? It is stock for '07, but was an option in some earlier years. If you have it, I believe you have to add the special valve stems to your winter rims. The stems include the tire pressure transmitters, and I have been told that the warning light will be lit if the system is not receiving signals while you drive.

Art
10-18-2006, 12:21 PM
From what I understand, TPMS is an option that's not currently available on Canadian models.

ncoonen
10-18-2006, 12:42 PM
TPMS was not available on US models for model year 2006 either. I can't say which if any earlier model years had it as an option.

...ned.