PDA

View Full Version : Wagonland at our house

gibbons
10-02-2006, 07:49 PM
I don't think we will ever get another sedan again, wagons are just too useful. Here is a pic of our quiver our white wagons, all three with Yakimas with bike rails in the summer and board racks in the winter.

We got our first wagon, the one in front, when our oldest was in high school. We got it primarily for him to drive. I felt good about its AWD and ABS. When we told my mom we got him a station wagon, she thought we were really mean, after all, "station wagon" still carries some kind of social stigma from the 70's. I told her it was the kids' idea, so they could carry their outdoor junk. She now understands

I absolutely love the XC, I would rather drive it than anything else at any cost. I have rented S80s and while they are nice, they just don't make me giggle like an XC. I guess I am lucky that my automotive appetite is satisfied relatively cost effectively. I never even think about other cars anymore.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6037/img1041ip2.jpg

bc1
10-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Nice pic Gibbons, I love the white XC70's I had a hard time picking between that and the ash gold with brown interior. I went with the ash gold because dirt doesn't seem to show that much. my wife however went with the white 2005 S40. I guess I need to get the camera out

RedXC
10-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Nice R wheels. You love white don't you?

Bluegrass-XC
10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Good looking stable, Gibbons.

Is that your garage in the background? What's under the tarp?

gibbons
10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Bluegrass- That's our "temporary" garage. Last year my wife and I got divorced after 25 years of marriage, and had to sell our dream house that had a 4 car garage and 2 car detached garage. She then bought the house in the picture. We later realized how dumb the divorce was, and got remarried a few months ago. I moved in there, but we are now building a house with a 3 car attached garage and 4 car detached garage so we can put the past fully behind us.

This is hiding under the cover in the crowded garage:

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2147/gibbons68se8.jpg

markwemple
10-04-2006, 02:43 PM
And here I was hoping that you had a P1800 or Amazon.

Bluegrass-XC
10-05-2006, 06:29 AM
This is hiding under the cover in the crowded garage:

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2147/gibbons68se8.jpg
Gibbons - My heart just skipped a beat !!!! Beautiful!!

littlewaywelt
10-05-2006, 06:29 AM
I agree, although I'll always have a soft-spot in my heart for ragtops and Jeeps.

Tom H
10-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Nice 68 Chevelle Gib. I had one much like yours only light mist blue in color. Had to be my favorite of my teen years. Had a 454 with a custom cam and hurst mystery shifter. We all used to run Mickey Thompson J's on the rear which were essenially racing slicks. Ah, those were the days. Glass-packs were mandatory. Ready for a laugh....I even had an 8 track tape player in it because I was always into advanced audio technology. Sadly, I sold it to a friend and he got a bit too drunk one night and completely trashed it.

But more importanly, glad to hear that you and your wife figured it out. I remember from past posts that you two traveled some hards roads togeather, especailly with your son's accident.

Best of luck.

Tom H

BIGGUYNE
10-05-2006, 03:04 PM
ditto, Gib,
Glad you were able to work things out. I just got back from ordering my 3rd wagon-- a MY07, to pick up OSD after thanksgiving. Gives us 3 XC70's. Maybe that's a bit much.

dr.tb.xc
10-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Love the minimalist, white palate, Ken (Gibbons), but personally, my wife and I like our Volvos to get uncomfortably hot in the Alabama sun. Black seems to do the trick for us. Also, we love having to clean the road film off our cars every other day, just to keep strangers from writing "wash me" in the filth. Again, black was the obvious choice. ;)

http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/Moose%20stable.jpg

And occasionally, when I'm not in the mood to wash my high-maintenance Volvos, I'll go for a spirited ride on one of these trusty steeds.

http://www.volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/Bike%20stable%203.jpg

Take the tarp off that sweet thing in the garage, Ken. I'll race you. :D

-Todd

Jack
10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
OK, Todd has neat toys, can I play at his house? [thumbup]

dr.tb.xc
10-05-2006, 09:05 PM
OK, Todd has neat toys, can I play at his house? [thumbup]
Come on over. I'm already tossing you the keys. Dibs on the Beemer. You're on the Kawasaki. [cool2]

Honestly, if I hadn't had to transport my mountain bike and ferry my kids around, I probably wouldn't have unlocked my XC for the past seven days, poor thing. This is motorcycle season!

-Todd

Tyrant11429
10-06-2006, 03:43 AM
nice wagons, I'll post some pics when I get a nice camera

gibbons
10-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Hey Todd, I need to wash the white XC everyday anyway to get the brake dust off the wheels! In one of my wheel threads, someone posted a picture of some Tellus wheels that they had painted black. I wondered why that person went to the trouble, mine always look like black anyway! I have noticed, though, that the more "open" 17" Pegasus wheels don't get dirty as quick as the Tellus. Maybe the brake dust blows away more easily.

Back to houses, my favorite thing about our old dream house was the drains in the garage floors. They were sloped to a drain in the middle like a big shower. In any season I could comfortably swab off just the wheels in minutes and always keep them looking nice. The builder on the new house didn't want to do drains, but I made it a deal breaker. I can't wait for it to be done!