PDA

View Full Version : Seat-belt button - seats stuck

JsR
09-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Just had my first problemette! Lowered the rear seats (mine are 60/40 split) and the 60% part wouldn't come back up due to the centre seat-belt being locked... I searched on this forum and found reports of the button breaking off - the one that stops the belt retracting too far into the mechanism. Took it to the dealer as I didn't want to force anything - they managed to free the seat and put it back into position and sure enough it was the button. They've ordered another and I'm going back tomorrow to get it fitted. I don't know how they freed the belt (they probably gave it a good yank!).

Consequently I've started my spreadsheet of issues... ;)

John R

XC70Geo
09-26-2006, 09:33 PM
They probably untied the lower fix point of the belt. I did it myself, it's possible, but not too much fun (like the situation itself).
I had the button replaced three times. When you have the new one you should check it, try to pray off by your hand to test if the melting was ok. (the plastic button's two half is melted together).
PS: The third time it happened I was thinking of sewing a real button on the belt. Fortunately no problem since that time.

JsR
09-27-2006, 01:05 PM
They probably untied the lower fix point of the belt. I did it myself, it's possible, but not too much fun (like the situation itself).
I had the button replaced three times. When you have the new one you should check it, try to pray off by your hand to test if the melting was ok. (the plastic button's two half is melted together).
PS: The third time it happened I was thinking of sewing a real button on the belt. Fortunately no problem since that time.

Thanks for that - I did check as you suggested and it seems fine.

About sewing on a button - I had one like that on my old Toyota (had it 18 years). In that time (and it was the most heavily used belt) it came loose twice - I sewed it back on and never a problem.

Volvo make a point of saying that when the button is inserted it mustn't damage the belt so taking the same principle, as long as any stitches go between the weave I don't see any problem with a DIY solution.

thanks again

John R

JsR
10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Tested the button again a couple of weeks after it was put on (and it was OK at that stage). It popped apart really easily - my guess is that the plastic weld became brittle. I'm just glad I didn't lower the seats again!!!

BTW, does anyone know why the seat-belt locks, making it impossible to raise the seats? Is it that the belt goes too far into the roller mechanism or is it that the pieces of the broken button are interfering with the action? What's the real reason for the button being there in the first place?

I'll report it to the dealership but I'm going to SEW on some buttons - one either side. NOT IMPRESSED... :(

John R

p.s., and I'll be double-checking all the others now

kat
10-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Tested the button again a couple of weeks after it was put on (and it was OK at that stage). It popped apart really easily - my guess is that the plastic weld became brittle. I'm just glad I didn't lower the seats again!!!

BTW, does anyone know why the seat-belt locks, making it impossible to raise the seats? Is it that the belt goes too far into the roller mechanism or is it that the pieces of the broken button are interfering with the action? What's the real reason for the button being there in the first place?

I'll report it to the dealership but I'm going to SEW on some buttons - one either side. NOT IMPRESSED... :(

John R

p.s., and I'll be double-checking all the others now

I had the same problem by catching the button with the seats down and freed it by giving it a good yank busting the button in the process.

Now the button cost what $4 (£2.5) but my dealer advised its best to solder it on. Solder is not something I am good at, can't hold the iron still, so got the wife to do the trip to the dealer and flutter the eye lids, guess what 10mins later it was done with no charge.

So sewing it would appear is not how to fix it. Mine was about 6 months ago and not had a problem since with the button...