PDA

View Full Version : Tire Flat Spots?

Weatherman
09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
We are the proud owners of a new XC70 Ocean Race Edition. Love it! Just one problem. Every Morning I get A vibration for about 2-3 miles. It feels worse at high speed. The dealer says its tire flat spots from the Perrelli Scorpion STR's. Its been over a month of compaining. First, the dealer said they have never heard of this. They have balanced once with no result. Any suggestions to get this resolved?
I live in wisconsin this will only get worse in winter.

Thanks, Mike

Ted in Toronto
09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
My Pirelli Scorpions do the same, it's barely noticeable in summer but as temperatures drop below 50 dF it gets worse, especially if the car has sat for a few days. My Gislaved winter tires do not do this, perhaps because they are more flexible at colder temperatures whereas the Pirellis stiffen up. No known cure for this, short of changing to a different brand.

RedXC
09-25-2006, 09:25 PM
It's possible what ted in toronto said. If the vibration gets really bad, I would recommend requesting the dealership replacing the tires to a different brand.

hrudu
09-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Yep it is the tires!
Here we go. (http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6509&highlight=vibration)
The dealer replaced the whole set of tires and then the vibration is gone.[thumbup]
Good luck.

Lady Lorelei
09-26-2006, 09:01 AM
I had this problem when I bought my '06 last month. The solution? The dealer swapped out the tires/wheels with another '06 on the lot and I no longer have the problem. They suggested the flat tire spot at first and then balanced the tires (forced round?) but the the problem persisted. Thankfully the service manager suggested and made the change to another set of wheel/tires. My only concern if for the next customer who buys the car with my "old" tires and wheels on it. Ethics?::rolleyes:

Weatherman
09-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the fast response every one. I had the Service manager keep the car overnight. It dropped to about 42F last night in Wisconsin. He drove the car in the am right onto the exprerss way. He said it felt like rail road tracks at 60 mph. The dealer and Volvo are splitting the cost for a new set of tires.
I should be able to pick the car up tonight. Other than this issue the car has benn superb!

Thanks agian.

Mike