PDA

View Full Version : US Diesel engines ! ! - When ?

AWD*V70XC
09-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Interestingly Volvo are not the only ones who want to put diesel engines in the States, Honda brought hybrids to the U.S.-but now it's jumping on the clean-diesel bandwagon as it plans to introduce a new diesel-powered vehicle to the States by 2009. At a press conference in Tokyo, Honda showed off its new clean diesel engine, which will likely be slotted into a version of the Accord sedan. The engine meets tough new diesel emission standards not with a urea-injection system as Mercedes-Benz has drawn up for its Bluetec diesel. Instead, the Honda diesel uses a twin-layer catalytic converter that turns nitrogen oxide diesel emissions into ammonia, then into simple nitrogen gas. The engine is based on Honda's 2.2-litre diesel four offered in Europe, and is expected to be 50-state compliant when it's introduced in a couple of years.

It is also interesting that Volvo have bought into Nissan diesels which could mean that Volvo/Ford/PAG are looking to the Japs for the edge they are looking for to populate the US roads with diesel engines and one day they could be as popular on US road as they are on European roads.

philosophicaldreamer
09-25-2006, 04:55 AM
Interestingly Volvo are not the only ones who want to put diesel engines in the States, Honda brought hybrids to the U.S.-but now it's jumping on the clean-diesel bandwagon as it plans to introduce a new diesel-powered vehicle to the States by 2009. At a press conference in Tokyo, Honda showed off its new clean diesel engine, which will likely be slotted into a version of the Accord sedan. The engine meets tough new diesel emission standards not with a urea-injection system as Mercedes-Benz has drawn up for its Bluetec diesel. Instead, the Honda diesel uses a twin-layer catalytic converter that turns nitrogen oxide diesel emissions into ammonia, then into simple nitrogen gas. The engine is based on Honda's 2.2-litre diesel four offered in Europe, and is expected to be 50-state compliant when it's introduced in a couple of years.

It is also interesting that Volvo have bought into Nissan diesels which could mean that Volvo/Ford/PAG are looking to the Japs for the edge they are looking for to populate the US roads with diesel engines and one day they could be as popular on US road as they are on European roads.

This would be excellent if we finally embraced diesel technology. I never really understood why Americans have been so reluctant to warm up to diesels and Europeans so reluctant to export them to the States. I clearly prefer diesel technology to hybrid technology: I have little faith in the longevity of the hybrid batteries.

Ta-ta, j.

budrichard
09-25-2006, 10:49 AM
My understanding, low sulfer fuel availabity not withstanding, that the diesels currently available will not meet future emissions restrictions and would only have a life time for sale of two years.-Dick

TNXC
09-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I saw on the pump today that the diesel they offer was not to be used in 2007 or newer diesel vehicles and if used would be a fineable offense as well as cause engine damage.

Filibuster
10-01-2006, 12:15 PM

Sorry but you must remember that Volvo AB who has bought parts of Nissan Diesel is a completely different company from Volvo Car Corporation which is 100 % owned by Ford.

AWD*V70XC
10-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Sorry but you must remember that Volvo AB who has bought parts of Nissan Diesel is a completely different company from Volvo Car Corporation which is 100 % owned by Ford. I know and stand corrected on that point, I was getting a little mixed up with other development work going on with other diesel engine manufacturers that will come on stream in the next change of cars.

v70+xc70
10-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Little Corporate engine history here guys.

Ford and Peugeot have been working together for several years and have produced several great Diesel engines.

These range from a 2.2 liter engine in the Freelander2, V6 2.7 liter used in Land Rovers and Jags, to the V8 diesel (266hp/470ftlbs) that now powers the Range Rover and will probably see service in Jags as well.

Volvo's 5 cylinder diesel is something of an odd man out in the line up. Whether it survives is unknown. Ford already killed off Land Rovers 5 cylinder 2.5 engine that was introduced at the same time as Volvo's just after Ford bought Volvo.

Ford also has a 2.4 diesel used in the Transit van, London Taxi, and LR Defender. The 2.4 is the only engine currently tested to meet US regs and is on sale in the US inside the London Taxi. That wont make it into any Volvos.

The 2.7l V6 diesel is having to be reworked to meet emission guidelines. Its proven to be a good engine and likely to be at 3liters soon

Honda is developing a replacement 4 cylinder diesel engine and a V6 Diesel for use in the US market. The latter may result in some of Honda's larger vehicles making it to the EEC such as the Odyessy, Pilot. Lots of antucipation on Honda boards for Diesels. See link here on Honda's engine announcements
http://www.autoblog.com/category/honda/

Hope this helps

Raynald
10-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Watched a TV program here on a local network yesterday. They were reporting on the new S80. The reporter was impressed by the S80 V8, but, to say the least, he was very disappointed by the new inline 6 which he described as "dull, sluggish and making the sound of an electric shaver"! He also test drove the diesel and liked it a lot. And when asked by the host if the diesel would be available soon in North America, he said that there "were no plans to do it soon. Matter of fact, there is no plan wathsoever...".

Go figure...:confused:

slowflyer
10-05-2006, 11:20 PM
It will be interesting to see just how clean these diesels will be. I was researching the VW Passat diesel resently. It gets very good mileage but the EPA pollutants graph was near the dirty end of the scale.

griso4r
10-05-2006, 11:46 PM
i have the 185 hp with fap which meets the requirement of euro 4 .
but there is a thing impressing me a lot, i can't notice the diesel smell even inside the garage when i start the car and absolutely no black smoke produced any more. except from the noise none could recognize it's a diesel car. volvo should understand asap that the US market is changing and it's a clear disadvantage against all the competitors to delay the introduction of the D5.
ciao