PDA

View Full Version : 52K Service... - what can I expect?

jweiss
09-23-2006, 05:59 AM
Greetings again. I am going to be picking up my new(used) 2002 ice white xc70 next week - SWEET!.

I've got a quick question. I am picking her up with 51K and know that the 52K service is right around the corner.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect from this service?

many Thanks

Joe

Jake529
09-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Take your wallet and just give it to the cashier.....If you have any first born kids or favorite dogs give them also..... I tried to give them my SO but they wouldn't take her, said she cost to much....

Jake

jweiss
09-23-2006, 10:20 AM
aww, come on now. What sort of 'service work' is supposed to get done at 52K?

BillAileo
09-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Joe,

If you don't already have them, you really need to get access to the appropriate owners manual and maintenance schedule. You can get access to them free online from Volvo for cars from 1995 forward by registering at http://www.volvocars.us/tools/OwnersInfo/.

As to your immediate question, the 2002 Volvo maintenance schedule calls for the following at the 52,500 mile service:

Oil & filter change
resetting the service reminder
checking the coolant
checking the power steering fluid
checking the washer fluid
checking the brake fluid
checking the brake pads
checking the tires.

Some dealers may try to add to this list. Some additional work may be a good idea but some can be just a money grab by the dealer. FWIW: The list of things to be checked at the 60,000 mile service is much longer.

One thing I would recommend now that isn't called for by Volvo unless the car is used for towing: replace the automatic transmission fluid if it hasn't been earlier flushed. And make sure you use the correct fluid.

Also, check the bevel gear for seepage (this should have been done at the 45,000 mile service)

Finally, since I believe your car has the VC (Viscous Coupling) make sure all four of your tires are pretty darn close to having the same amount of wear.

Good luck,

Bill

jweiss
09-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Bill, thanks for the info and for the link to volvo. The current owner that I am buying the car from just had the xc70 into redbank volvo for a once over. I will make sure to have the vc's checked along with the bevel gear. The car har does not have a tow hitch, to tranny fluid should be ok.

What has been your experience with exhaust & catalytic in terms of milage & replacement? I am just thinking ahead.

Thanks again.

Joe

BillAileo
09-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Joe,
Even though the car wasn't used for towing, I'd still recommend considering having the fluid replaced sometime. I know that this is above and beyond the recommended maintenance, but, in my opinion, ATF does not last forever and if you wait until the transmisson displays problems, you may have waited too long. Transmission work on these cars does not come cheap. At a minimum, have a look, or have someone else check out the appearance of the transmission fluid by looking at it on the transmission dipstick.

I'm at about 65,000 miles on our XC70 and it shows no signs of exhaust or Cat converter issues.

Bill

jweiss
09-24-2006, 09:39 AM
You are right. A fluid change aint a bad thing. My next new volvo taks will be tire selection. I've done research on this board already so I do have some good info at hand.

thanks again