PDA

View Full Version : Pulsating during acceleration in passing gear? Turbo?

travelkids
09-20-2006, 08:41 PM
A little help?!! The pulsating or Yo Yo of power when accelerating 3/4 to full throttle, noticable in 3 and 4th gear above 3000rpm. When trying to pass on a one laner yesterday it was down right dangerous! Thought it might be bad gas, but after a new tank, nothing but the same problem.

Anybody have any ideas? XC70 2002 46k miles.

colovolvo
09-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Try replacing the boost control valve. It's about 35 bucks from the dealer and mounts to the side of the air filter. I changed mine and saw a noticeable improvement (ie. no surging). Also, check for any loose vacuum hoses under the hood....

travelkids
09-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Try replacing the boost control valve. It's about 35 bucks from the dealer and mounts to the side of the air filter. I changed mine and saw a noticeable improvement (ie. no surging). Also, check for any loose vacuum hoses under the hood....

Thanks!!! I needed your help more than you will ever know(it is too long of a story). I just replaced it, part was $52 and a snap to do, thanks for the location! I owe you a beer! [thumbup]

colovolvo
09-21-2006, 06:05 PM
No problem. I assume from your exuberance it fixed the problem? How far do I need to drive for free beer? :):):)

travelkids
09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
No problem. I assume from your exuberance it fixed the problem? How far do I need to drive for free beer? :):):)

That exuberance is before I test drove the fix. Now that I have given it a thorough run thru, it is driving like it is new again. I must have had this problem for quite sometime. I think I will change it out every 30k. I understand it is a mechanical part that can start sticking. Fantastic.

Lake Tahoe too far for you?? Maybe next time I am in Denver we can meet at Wynkoop Brewery!??! :)

Thanks again.[thumbup]

colovolvo
09-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Well, I don't think it is a time-limited part, but if things start acting up again, you know where to look. Glad to hear of your success. I noticed it on the climb up to Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 and it was really bad. Now it's smooth and seems to be more powerful.
Wynkoop sounds great....Tahoe is a little far, but I would like to get out there sometime.