PDA

View Full Version : Any Beemer enthusiasts?

dr.tb.xc
09-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi guys. Love the idea of having a catch-all forum for non-XC vehicles. I'm wondering if there are any fellow Beemer admirers out there besides me.

I'm currently lusting after a new bike, but can't decide which way to jump. My Concours is great fun, but weighs a ton and, well, isn't a BMW.

K1200S? R1200ST? R1200RT? So different, yet all so desirable.

I primarily use my bike to commute to work and seldom have to carry much that won't fit in a backpack. I love the idea of being able to tour comfortably, but since our kids are still young the chances of my wife and I getting any real touring opportunities are slim to none for the next several years.

I'm leaning toward either the K1200S (which appeals to my testosterone) or the R1200ST, which seems like an excellent compromise--light and fun to ride in the twisties, respectable for touring (with the addition of ~$1,000 of OEM luggage :eek: ), but unfortunately lacking in the shockingly raw horsepower of the K bikes. What to do...

Any opinions out there?

-Todd

Art
09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Todd,

I’m not a motor bike enthusiast like yourself, but have always fantasized about owning one some day.

Anyways, I thought that you might enjoy this article (http://www.rubbermag.com/news/0608/060831_01n.html). :)

dr.tb.xc
09-04-2006, 10:05 AM
I’m not a motor bike enthusiast like yourself, but have always fantasized about owning one some day.

Anyways, I thought that you might enjoy this article (http://www.rubbermag.com/news/0608/060831_01n.html). :)
Hey, Art. Thanks for steering me to the article. Though I'm not a golf enthusiast, I found the match (golfer/M5/K1200R) an interesting one. That bike is insanely fast--zero to 60 in something like 2.5 seconds--yep, that's fast enough.

I'm leaning toward it's slightly slower brother, the K1200S, which can only manage the zero to 60 run in an embarassingly long 2.8 seconds. That's fast enough to lift the eyelids from the eyeballs, but not fast enough to rip them completely off. [thumbup]

-Todd