PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling rubbing/whistling noise

Raynald
08-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Lateley, my XC had developed some kind of rubbing/whistling noise, very subtle, like a chain rubbing on pavement, evident at low speed, but less apparent when cruising at a higher speed because of engine and road noise. It seems to come from the wheels, but both the dealer's technician and I didn't find the source. However, here's what the tech guy told me:

It's not coming from the transmission: same noise even on neutral.
It's not coming from the engine either: noisy even when rolling with engine off.
It doesn't seem to make any noise while wheels are turning when the car is on the lift.
Wheel bearings are OK.
Brake and rotors don't rub anywhere.
Brake protective plates don't rub either.
Hand brake pads are OK (new).
Not related to the known grinding noise coming from the muffler rubbing against the driveshaft: it doesn't bare any mark.
No vibration whatsoever.
Annoying! I'm puzzled! :confused:

Any idea?

BillAileo
08-28-2006, 03:54 PM
How new are those "new" hand brake shoes? Did the noise start after they were installed? Perhaps they are dragging.....

Bill

Raynald
08-28-2006, 05:40 PM
How new are those "new" hand brake shoes? Did the noise start after they were installed? Perhaps they are dragging.....Nah... That's what I thought too. :( The lining was floating and dragging a little on one side, but not enough to cause any noise. I asked the mechanic to replaced them last week, while searching. On both side, the linings where overdue anyway, rusty and obviously destined to fall apart in a near future. Works fine now, but the noise is still there...

xc4life
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Lateley, my XC had developed some kind of rubbing/whistling noise, very subtle, like a chain rubbing on pavement, evident at low speed, but less apparent when cruising at a higher speed because of engine and road noise. It seems to come from the wheels, but both the dealer's technician and I didn't find the source. However, here's what the tech guy told me:

It's not coming from the transmission: same noise even on neutral.
It's not coming from the engine either: noisy even when rolling with engine off.
It doesn't seem to make any noise while wheels are turning when the car is on the lift.
Wheel bearings are OK.
Brake and rotors don't rub anywhere.
Brake protective plates don't rub either.
Hand brake pads are OK (new).
Not related to the known grinding noise coming from the muffler rubbing against the driveshaft: it doesn't bare any mark.
No vibration whatsoever.
Annoying! I'm puzzled! :confused:

Any idea?

God my car has had the same problem for about 2 years now, I thought It came with age!! It sounds like my 240!! :D :D

Jake529
08-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Open your hood, take a stick while the car is running a push down on the heat shield that comes of the exhaust manifold, in the back of the motor, dollars to Dountus one of them has rusted and is causing your noise.. Boy, your tech should haved figured that out, common problem in the rust belt.

Raynald
08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Open your hood, take a stick while the car is running a push down on the heat shield that comes of the exhaust manifold, in the back of the motor, dollars to Dountus one of them has rusted and is causing your noise.. Boy, your tech should haved figured that out, common problem in the rust belt.As I said and I quote:

(...)
(...)
In doubt, I tried with no avail. Thanks anyway! ;)

BillAileo
08-30-2006, 06:33 AM
More guesses: Any possibility its CV joints or a wheel bearing issue that only arises when the bearings are loaded down with the weight of the car? ( I recognize that you have already said the bearing are ok but how was that determined?)

Bill

Raynald
08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
More guesses: Any possibility its CV joints or a wheel bearing issue that only arises when the bearings are loaded down with the weight of the car? ( I recognize that you have already said the bearing are ok but how was that determined?)The mechanic told me the bearings where ok... Good point here about the load on the wheels. Sure needs to be looked at more closely. When I'll have the time, I'll ask for a "second opinion"... Thanks! :)

mikeklett
08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
i'm bettin' on a CV joint.

pbear95
10-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Howdy All,

I had this same problem w/ my 2001 V70 XC. The drive shaft can rub on the muffler. This typically happens when the engine is hot and I drive into a rain shower in Portland or Seattle or when I hit slush on my way up to Whistler or Silver Star. The muffler contracts very quickly when it gets splashed and the noise usually last just a few seconds. To check if this is an issue for you, look under the car on the drive shaft very close to the end seam of the muffler. You may be surprised to see a wear grove on your drive shaft.

Cheers,

Raynald
10-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the input. The rubbing on the driveshaft was the first thing I've checked. No marks whatsoever. I've been very very busy lately, didn't have time to look at it more closely, but the buzzing noise is still there, no better, no worse. The care is due for it's 156,000 km schedule maintenance, probably next weel. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Raynald
11-03-2006, 07:08 PM
The noise is coming from the bevel gear. Not dramatic at this point, but it's leaking oil and must be replaced CDN$2400.00 !! :eek: Found the same part used CDN$1200.00. :) Still...

BTW, they used a microphone which they attached under the car to hear from where it was originating. The driveshaft acted like a guitar string and transmitted the noise to the back of the car, thus giving the impression it was coming from there... Sssshhh..... [sly]

Raynald
11-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Still didn't have time to get the bevel gear replaced. To much work, and Mrs. R. is working hard too! So, still "whistling" around. No worse... There's only small drip under. Went to a nearby independant mechanic last week and it's still working fine in spite of the noise. Maybe next week! :rolleyes:

philosophicaldreamer
11-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Still didn't have time to get the bevel gear replaced. To much work, and Mrs. R. is working hard too! So, still "whistling" around. No worse... There's only small drip under. Went to a nearby independant mechanic last week and it's still working fine in spite of the noise. Maybe next week! :rolleyes:

Why don't dump the bevel gear and turn the car into a front-wheel- drive machine? I know you live in Canada, but do you really need a four-wheel-drive car? This way you might save yourself $1800 or $1900.

Ta-ta, j.

Raynald
11-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Humm...! Need to think about that... :confused: :D

Art
11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Here's something else to think about Raynald. Does the winter of 2003 and 50 cm of snow ring a bell? :eek:

http://volvoxc.com/volvo_photo_gallery/albums/userpics/pelle.jpg

Raynald
11-20-2006, 09:38 PM
You say "ring a bell"! If you mean Big Ben, Parliament Tower, Santa's sleigh and every known bells in the world... you're right!

I still wonder if philosophicaldreamer was joking or not... :D

philosophicaldreamer
11-20-2006, 09:42 PM
You say "ring a bell"! If you mean Big Ben, Parliament Tower, Santa's sleigh and every known bells in the world... you're right!

I still wonder if philosophicaldreamer was joking or not... :D

No, I was not. Very few of us need bloody four-wheel-drive cars. Most people in Sweden drive FWD volvos and they survive their winters. You can surely do the same if you want to save some money.

Ta-ta, j.

Raynald
12-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Ok... I took the time to do something I should have done before: GET A SECOND OPINION !!!

The darn bevel gear doesn't need replacement after all. The indi mechanic I went to (who by all means specialized in Volvos and Subarus for 20 years...) took almost half an hour of his time to explain to me, among many other things, that (his words) "a teaspoon of oil under the angle gear, for a six year old car, is not a problem whatsoever". As he was working on the car, he did something I've never seen before: he took dated pictures of what he was checking and doing on the car. The shop is equipped with 6 digital cameras, some mounted on articulated arms! Amazing...

At the same time, I got the timing belt and tensioner changed (it was way overdue), compression checked, spark plugs, oil and many other things. Less than $400.

And by the way, I had a loaner for a day, a 1991 850 with 155,000 km on the clock. Like new! Nice way to get customer confidence!

Art
12-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Raynald,

Our previous '01 XC was also weeping oil from the bevel gear at 126,000 km and it ended up having a filter and bleeder nipple installed. After logging an additional 10,000 km's, the gear showed no visual signs of leaking, although I couldn't speculate on whether or not failure of this part was imminent.

stuart metler
12-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Did the noise go away? If so, what was determined to be the source?

Raynald
12-08-2006, 03:13 PM
It seems to come from a driveshaft support .. Don't remember the exact part name. Anyway the car is due for another visit at 168,000 km and it will all be fxed then.