PDA

View Full Version : Anybody knows how to replace the Oxygen sensor?

plopband
08-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Trying to be a backyard mechanic, taking care of my 01 baby...... just for fun. Any guide or tip will help.

RedXC
08-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Yes I do! You will need a special O2 sensor socket, which looks like a regular socket but with a opening on its side to slide into the O2 sensor. You will also need a 3/8' or 1/2' rachet depending on the 02 sensor socket size. But becareful, the 02 sensor might be seized(hard to take off_ in there pretty good. I would do is loosen it first, and turn if the opposite directions a feel times to make sure the treads are okay. Careful not to damage the XC or yourself. After removing the 02 sensor, before installing the new one, apply a light but large amount of anti-seize on the 02 sensor treads to prevent it from seizeing permanently the next time you replace it. Also careful not to damage the 4 wire electrical connectors. Good luck and have fun! [thumbup]

plopband
08-26-2006, 10:30 PM
You are always there when I need help. Appreciate! :D [thumbup]

plopband

plopband
08-26-2006, 10:42 PM
I just checked ebay, 7 pc socket set for about $30. It is OK.

barrysharp
08-27-2006, 12:26 AM
When you install new O2 sensor be sure to wind the electrical cable carefully anti clockwise so that when you tighten the sensor the wires get unwound and aren't twisted.

Willy
08-27-2006, 01:26 AM
This may also help.
I believe it is possible to fabricate the special tool yourself.
Willy

Jack
08-27-2006, 08:43 AM
FWIW, I've purchased sensors from www.oxygensensors.com in the past. I think they offer a socket for about $10.

ltoolio
08-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Doesn't Autozone loan those things out?

If I recall correctly, I replaced the O2 sensor on my Ford Probe a few years back, and I'm pretty sure I was able to borrow one from them (with a deposit, of course)

Sasquatch
08-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Do you need a socket, or will a crescent (aka "open end") wrench do it?

barrysharp
08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Do you need a socket, or will a crescent (aka "open end") wrench do it?

I took mine off on my S60 R when replacing my stock DP with a 3" TME DP and was able to get an open end wrench onto to it - belive it was a 13 mm wrench. I had enough clearance when working from below. If I recall correctly the wiring is non removable with the O2 sensor and O2 sensor comes with its own wire harness that plugs into connector somewhere near the turbo unit - not easy to get to the releasable connector.

Sasquatch
08-28-2006, 06:07 AM
I took mine off on my S60 R when replacing my stock DP with a 3" TME DP...

Sorry for Monday morning dense, but what is a 3" TME DP?

barrysharp
08-28-2006, 08:57 AM
Sorry for Monday morning dense, but what is a 3" TME DP?

3" = 3 inch internal diameter

DP = Down Pipe - the pipe that connects the turbo to rear exhaust and contains an expansion-bellow joint and the catalyst. Stock internal diameter is less than 3". Larger internal dia and smooth internal surfaces and bends means greater exit gas velocity and engine can generate more HP. :D

TME = http://www.tme.com/e_main.htm

bundylazlo
12-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I would like to find the location of the oxygen sensor on my volvo.
Is there anyone who could help me?
My check engine light came on and the mechanic told me i need to change
the front and the rear oxygen sensors.
My gas millage right now is under 15 miles/gal.
Is that could be because the sensors?

kamiar
12-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I would like to find the location of the oxygen sensor on my volvo.
Is there anyone who could help me?
My check engine light came on and the mechanic told me i need to change
the front and the rear oxygen sensors.
My gas millage right now is under 15 miles/gal.
Is that could be because the sensors?

Get the codes read with a DiCE and Vida, so you will exactly now what has caused the problem.

BillAileo
12-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Kamiar,

For purposes of the oxygen sensors on an '01 wouldn't a reading by any decent OBDII code reader be sufficient?

Bundylazlo,

Your oxygen sensors are located on the catalytic converter and just forward of the converter.

kamiar
12-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Well i suggested Vida because he might have other codes as well so he will know exactly what is going on with full diagnostics and results... otherwise an OBDII reader can read those codes just fine...

stanleydj
12-28-2010, 05:42 PM
I got a P1133 code from my reader - front O2 sensor - so I buy it - but I can't get at the thing. Too tight/no room to maneuver a 20 or 21mm open end. Someone mentioned a socket, but how do you get a socket on something which has a wire attached? Thanks.

Aviator
12-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Use one of these....

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_9050590-P_x_x?cm_mmc=CSE-_-NexTag-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=25-16030531-2

or just drop the pipe for more access.

Dave.

stanleydj
01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Replaced the O2 sensor - the tool below did the trick. Problem is, that wasn't the problem, even though I had a P1133 error code (front bank O2 sensor).

I think it's a coil pack, because I had the exact same symptom a while back, and that's what it was. My new problem - How do I figure out WHICH coil pack has gone bad?

Seamus
01-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Replaced the O2 sensor - the tool below did the trick. Problem is, that wasn't the problem, even though I had a P1133 error code (front bank O2 sensor).

I think it's a coil pack, because I had the exact same symptom a while back, and that's what it was. My new problem - How do I figure out WHICH coil pack has gone bad?

Does the code reader tell you which specific cylinder is misfiring? That's the only way I can think of to diagnose a specific coil pack.

stanleydj
01-02-2011, 10:18 AM
It doesn't. It only gives me P1133 - which is th eO2 sensor error code.