PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Pad Replacement - Question

Michelle71
08-26-2006, 08:16 AM
I've gathered the pads, rotors and tools to replace my rear brake pads on my 2001 V70 XC. The instructions in the Volvo Brand brake pad box instruct me that it is IMPORTANT to replace the front when replacing the rear. Is this true? I did the front pads 20 K ago and both are still in spec.

Any advice on why this is stated in the instructions?

Thanks.

Willy
08-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Hello and welcome,
Your doubt is justified, IMHO, the advice has commercial value only :D
On the other hand, if you were to replace the rear pads first, it follows that
the front ones probably need replacing as well since they do most of the braking.
Willy

barrysharp
08-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Hello and welcome,
Your doubt is justified, IMHO, the advice has commercial value only :D
On the other hand, if you were to replace the rear pads first, it follows that
the front ones probably need replacing as well since they do most of the braking.
Willy

This isn't necessarily true as the front do wear more than rear, as you say, but this means the fronts get replace more frequently than the rears and this will lead to disimilar replacement time points. That is, the fron and rear replacements aren't in sync.

funglenn
08-26-2006, 12:16 PM
My 01 is bizzare then, I have 45k miles and the dealer told me the front ones could last another 7k miles, but the back needed immediate rotor/pads (I knew the back need to be replaced).

For the price the dealer wanted to charge me I did all for rotors and pads easily.

I bought it used, with 26k miles and i had not done the front, so the back went first! But the issue was the rotors were pretty bad in the rear.