PDA

View Full Version : A/T dextron change

F0RWARD
08-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Just had Service 30K km (model year ’05) and after inspection got strong recommendation from the dealer to change All oil in the Geartronic. The dealer said the oil is very dark, almost black though no sings of any corruption. The work and materials are bit pricy –about 450 USD.
Volvo cars Russia promised to clarify the situation. As far as I know those Aisin transmissions are maintains free. Any ideas or advises are very welcome!

tgrumaj
08-23-2006, 04:19 AM
I have been changing the fluid in my transmission at about 50m miles intervals. Last was at 72m and I have 102m miles now. Fluid still looks clean and redish (not black). 30m klm is only about 18m miles so that seems pretty soon to be getting burnt...wonder if that's a sign of a more serious issue? I know that the trans even on my 99 isn't something that the scheduled maintenance recommends changing but it has been something I have always done on other cars and have just kept it up on this one. Everything I've read on this board and other similar boards would recommend making it a regular maintenance item but mile intervals recommended usally range from 30m miles to 50m miles.

You might check on fluid type..you say Dextron but I thought that Volvos of your year used a special Volvo ATF fluid. I'm sure a search on this board will give you some more info on that issue.

F0RWARD
08-23-2006, 08:39 AM
You might check on fluid type..you say Dextron but I thought that Volvos of your year used a special Volvo ATF fluid.

philosophicaldreamer
08-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Just had Service 30K km (model year ’05) and after inspection got strong recommendation from the dealer to change All oil in the Geartronic. The dealer said the oil is very dark, almost black though no sings of any corruption. The work and materials are bit pricy –about 450 USD.
Volvo cars Russia promised to clarify the situation. As far as I know those Aisin transmissions are maintains free. Any ideas or advises are very welcome!

I don't about the prices in Russia, but in the States the whole thing costs around $200. Make usre that your dealer is not overcharging you.

Ta-ta,
janusz