PDA

View Full Version : Message Center: "Start Inhibited, Try Again"

colovolvo
08-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Anybody else ever seen this message? The car started fine after I cycled the key off and back to start.

barrysharp
08-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Never had it on my XC70 but have seen it once on my S60R. It apparently happens now and then, but should be rare or very infrequent. I resolved mine as you did. I think it's related to the wireless connectivity between key and ignition switch being flakey at times. If it repeats frequently I would bring it to the attention of your Volvo service dept.

Okanagan XC
08-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Had the samething happened to my XC70 the first time I tried to start it at home after I picked it up brand new from the dearlership a month ago. Cycled the key as you did and hasn't happened since.

colovolvo
08-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks. Didn't think it was a big deal, but with all this ECM stuff going on around here, it's easy to get paranoid about anything ignition related.

brian
08-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Happened to me while I had very little fuel in the tank and was parked on a slope. I was told by the guy who services my 2002 that the car will not start if there is not enough fuel at the fuel pump in the tank.

v70+xc70
08-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Talked to Dalzells after it happened to our xc.

Can be triggered by electronic interference, eg key fob from another car on the key ring, etc that stops the alarm system from receiving a signal from the correct ignition key saying its ok to start.

barrykensett
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
I can re-create it if I wrap my hand around the key when starting.
Barry

Sasquatch
08-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Dang those computers.

See: too much computerization/tech (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8570)

Kubrick
08-29-2006, 06:15 PM
I had this happen to me and it was antenna ring. The antenna ring is in the ignition and it reads the chip in the key to start the engine. I was getting this message 2-3 times every time I tried to start the car. Took it to the dealership, they diagnosed it as a bad antenna ring, and I haven't had any problems after they installed a new one.

-Barry

Cross Current
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Well it happened to me today. Multiple attempts at recycling the ignition sequence didn't cure it. Dealer called and he suggested I insert the key in the door and go through a lock then unlock cycle. That didn't work either. Another suggestion was to flip the key over and place it in the ignition. Still no start. Miraculously 30 minutes later I tried again and after it didn't start, I flipped the key over and inserted back in ignition and it started. Uggghhh.

Willy
10-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Interference may be a problem, the alarm of my 940 refused to arm itself once, when I looked around I saw an X-ray warning on the back door of a small hospital. I moved the car, all was ok.
I just wonder, has anyone had results by changing the battery in the key?
Willy

used2drive_780
09-18-2010, 02:39 PM
I have a 2005 V70, and I got the "start inhibited" message...

I tried to start the car a bunch of times, then when I was on the phone with Volvo On-Call, the car started!

I hope it was a one-time thing.

My first assumption was that it was the battery (original battery is 5 years old, probably at end of life). But I wonder what the problem really is?

PGI007
09-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I had this happen to me about 2 years ago. After sitting for about 15 minutes it eventually started. It happened again last month. I drove home from work at lunch to meet a contractor, then it wouldn't start when I went to go back to work. Tried the other key fob and it started, and the original fob worked again perfectly afterwards. I don't have an answer other than "it happens". If it were a weakening battery I would expect it to occur to me more than twice in 2 years.