PDA

View Full Version : Dealer reply re: software updates

timewasajoke
08-12-2006, 02:55 PM
This week i took our '03 XC70 19K in to our local dealer to have the back wheel barring replaced under warranty. When i asked about software updates i was told unless something is wrong with the car than updates were not necessary.

I purchased this car in Boston recently and this is the first time this Texas dealer has seen the car.
I just wondering if this is a typical reply from a dealer regarding updating software and how i can know what version of software is installed and if it's the latest available?

It was serviced from the original Boston dealer via the original owner for my journey home (oil and fluids) and it had been serviced regularly sense new. But no info on software was found with the paper work i got.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

barrysharp
08-12-2006, 04:02 PM
There are at least two type of software updates for your car.

1. VADIS-type software updates for altering such things as DRLs, rear view mirror dimming intensity, heated seat settings and auto door locks. Typically a dealership will charge for these unless done at time of purchase or within the first 12 months of the fit&finish warranty period.

2. Software updates for ECUs such as for the engine and automatic transmission. These are only done if Volvo requires them for acroos-the-borad model lines or if you experience a specific problem such as 2nd gear rpm flare. These type software downloads are free of charge typically. Unless you have a specific problem for which there's a Volvo software download that remedies a dealership will not perform the updates. YOU MUST STATE YOU HAVE A PROBLEM AND IF ITS DESCRIPTION MATCHES THE VOLVO SOFTWARE SOLUTION THEN DEALERSHIP WILL/SHOULD INSTALL IT.