PDA

View Full Version : Go in for the ECM software update, possibly leave with new Tranny

ltoolio
08-07-2006, 07:54 AM
So, I bring my 01XC in this AM to have the ECM software loaded. While I'm there, I mention that my tranny has been slipping on occasion (more frequently as of late) while going from 1st to 2nd.

I was first told that I should get a TCM software update (which would not be covered under warranty). I then ask the tech to look back on my service history to show that it had already been done.

Low and behold, I had received it a while back. The tech then brought the lead tech out, and he mentioned that a new tranny may be in order..

So, what had started as a routine recall notice may be snowballing into something huge.

I patiently await a call back from the dealership. I'm hopeful that my extended warranty now proves it's worth :)

ltoolio
08-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Extended warranty consultant is coming to look at the car tomorrow to verify that the car in fact does need a new tranny.

My tech explained that he/she needed to verify that the tranny was in fact bad. The possibility exists that it is "not broke enough" and that I might have to wait for a more catastrophic failure than it just skipping gears making a left turn through an intersection.

I'll reserve further comment until I hear back from the dealer. I hope I'm not not bad mouthing Volvo corporate at this point tomorrow :)

ltoolio
08-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Picked up the car yesterday from the dealership.

They stated that the warranty consultant could not replicate the slipping between 1st and 2nd gear, and that it "needs to get worse" before it will be approved.

My technician suggested driving it harder by accelerating harder (yes...he actually told me to do that) and to flush the tranny fluid to "help" things along.

So, I ended up walking out with my Turbo Return line leak repaired and with the ETM software upgrade (which does seem to have it running smoother), but with a tranny that continues to slip on occasion.

Anyone else have a similar experience? My warranty is up in 07/09, so I have plenty of time for it to fail. But, I would prefer for it to be fixed rather than have it fail when I'm 120 miles away from home in the dead of a Chicago winter.

dr.tb.xc
08-10-2006, 12:25 PM
This scenario is beginning to sound all too familiar. It seems that Volvo N.A. is on a mission to ruin their own reputation by failing to stand behind their products.

[Hello, is anyone listening there in Volvo headquarters?!?]

I've been given this exact same line of "reasoning" by Volvo service in the past regarding my own transmission problems (on my previous '01 XC70), which was doing the exact same thing your transmission is now doing. In my case they just wasted my time with pointless and unproductive software downloads, etc. until my vehicle was no longer under warranty. When the problem became more consistant and serious after the warranty had expired they just shrugged and gave me this "Sucks to be you" expression.

Volvo is no doubt fully aware that there is a problem with the transmission and are just jerking you around, hoping you'll go away and stop trying to cost them money. If I was you, Itoolio, I'd be making as much noise as I could and causing the local dealership embarrasment till they get off their slack a$$es and solve your problem instead of playing games with you.

What's the problem, Volvo? You market your cars for their safety, then leave us wondering when they're going to fail in an emergency situation. Not a good strategy in my opinion.

-Todd

Vwvolvo
08-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Same here. Tranny was replaced last september under warranty after 3 upgrades and many many many many many many complaints and arguments.

Love that car but it's my first and last Volvo. I'm tired of going for repairs every 3 months or so. Can't list all that was done on the car in the past 18 months, enough to make someone go banana !!

Luc
Montreal, Canada

ltoolio
08-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Volvo is no doubt fully aware that there is a problem with the transmission and are just jerking you around, hoping you'll go away and stop trying to cost them money. If I was you, Itoolio, I'd be making as much noise as I could and causing the local dealership embarrasment till they get off their slack a$$es and solve your problem instead of playing games with you.
-Todd

And that's the odd thing - the dealership techs told me to drive it hard so that it would fail. They told me that I should change the tranny fluid as well to show:
1. That I take care of my car and that I'm not making this up
2. That it might cause something in the tranny to loosen up and then fail.

The tech told me that this is what he has told his other clients when the warranty inspector told them that it was not "broken enough".

Also, I was told that the warranty inspector is looking for either some OBD codes or some burnt Tranny Fluid, neither of which was present.

So, I'm going to switch cars with my wife for a little while - put it through a few weeks of a daily commute 30 miles up I355 and I294 during rush hour. That should cause some hard driving :)

I don't know if this is the dealership trying to pass the buck, but they made it sound like it was out of their hands.

So, I'll make a lot of noise, I'll bring in a notebook of everytime/everyplace/every situation in which it slipped and hopefully I get a new one soon..

jsmale37
08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
... While I'm there, I mention that my tranny has been slipping on occasion (more frequently as of late) while going from 1st to 2nd.

Does "Tranny Slipping" equate to the same problem as I have had?

After turning into a side road, and whilst accelerating very gently, the gearbox EITHER went into Neutral or changed down instead of up; before correcting itself.

I could not reproduce it to order and the Dealership reloaded the Gearbox software; but it had not happened between booking the car into the Dealership and taking the car there - nor has it happened since.

Should I be worried as the 3-year warranty is up in 2-weeks?

ltoolio
08-15-2006, 10:18 AM
What I meant by "Tranny Slipping" was as follows:

On a relatively random basis, when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd, the transmission flares (i.e. seems to slip out of gear) around 2,000 RPM up to 4,000 RPM, at which time it "catches" and the car jerks forward.

My wife states that it happens maybe once every 5 times the car is taken out.

And it is completely random.

jsmale37
08-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks ltoolio - This sounds the same as I was getting; but mine may have been from 2nd to 3rd - I have no way of knowing.

Now the fault seems to have cured itself (it was doing it up to twice a day) and then the software was reloaded.

BUT, what was your outcome? Did you have the gearbox replaced?; was it under warranty?; Did it cure itself or is it still happening?

ltoolio
08-16-2006, 06:30 PM
BUT, what was your outcome? Did you have the gearbox replaced?; was it under warranty?; Did it cure itself or is it still happening?

Nope...nothing repaired, and it still continues to happen (albiet randomly and somewhat rarely).

I have 3 years to "break" it, which really isn't a good answer. But, that seems to be all that I have to go off of at the moment.

bigwoodenradio
08-16-2006, 07:34 PM
2001 XC70, 50,900 miles: Transmission failed by repeatedly slipping into neutral...requiring ignition shut off and restart, which allowed marginal 1st gear driving w/o any acceleration to between 5-10 mph, then, bang, back into neutral. Towed vehicle to dealer (we were 1,200 miles from home). Only fix was to replace with Volvo Certified Reconditioned transmission. $3,400. We paid full price, Volvo N.A. refused to acknowledge any responsibility. "Too bad, so sad, sucks to be you."

Repairs take 2 weeks. Goodwin's Volvo in Topsham, Maine claims 'parts lost in shipment' is what caused 'unusual delay'. Volvo N.A. finds this 'curious' and responds with disbelief that any 'parts were lost in shipment.'

Drive 1,200 miles over 3.5 days. Arrive home in early evening. Next morning,
drive way is awash with pinkish transmission fluid. No idiot light. Drive car to local mechanic with 35 years of Volvo experience. He says, "Tow to nearest Authorized Volvo Service Center. Do not drive this vehicle. It's leaking transmission fluid too quickly and won't make the drive."

Nearest dealer is 60 miles. Tow will cost $200. We pay tow because 'warranty' on 'reconditioned transmission' does not cover tow.

In less than 2 weeks, 2 transmission failures. And no one, I and mean, NO ONE at any level of Volvo Customer Service is willing to do ANYTHING.

Poorly designed, poorly serviced. I think the reason no one at Volvo is willing to 'stand behind' their work or their products is that they have the well-founded fear that said product will slip out of gear and roll back over them.

ltoolio
08-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I guess that I can only be thankful that I've a few more miles and years for this to happen before it potentially takes a bit chunk out of my checkbook.

I can't say that I have extensive experience with cars (I've only owned one other), but do other cars in any way fail like this one does?

It seems like there are so many people on this board who have so many issues with this car. Is it a matter of the demographic of the people who own them. We might be able to make a correlation between the cars being more expensive than average, which would possibly suggest that the people who buy them make more $$$ than average, and therefore might be more intelligent than average, and therefore might be more apt to research & post experiences, and therefore our word might filter out more than other cars.

Maybe this is a stretch...I don't know. I just find it hard to beleive that this car that I paid $28K (used, nonetheless) could be such a problematic vehicle.

(although time may prove that to be correct!)