PDA

View Full Version : Transmission FAILURE @ 52K miles...

bigwoodenradio
08-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Our 2001 XC70 turned 'five' on July 16th. On July 20th, with only 52,000 miles, driving along on the highway, the transmission suddenly 'shifted' into 'neutral'....no response to the gas pedal, down shifting, etc. And, importantly, no idot light and no message displayed. Luckily, and I do mean very luckily, I was able to coast to a stop...turn the car off, start it up, and then pull away in what felt like 'safe mode', a very labored first gear, which revved high, strained, and shifted into second and then, bang, into neutral again. Turn off car. Start car, same thing...a very shaky and repeatedly failing 'limp home' mode that would not allow me to drive faster than 10 mph, and even then it just randomly quit.
No codes, no idiot lights. Limped about half a mile and parked, needing to shift to reverse to finish parking...no reverse, and then no forward, either. Shut off car, started it, and finally a "Service Transmission Urgent" message. Towed to dealer. Dealer says 'solenoid failure, but we can't reliably tell which one or ones are involved'. Options: 1) replace solenoids for $1,900.00 or 2) replace entire transmission for $3,400.
No warranty. Volvo Corporate says too bad, so sad, sucks to be you.

5 years, 52K. This car's rear shocks destroyed a set of tires (faithfully rotated), requiring new shocks and a new set of tires. The ignition key tumbler failed and had to be replaced, $450. Now a new transmission for $3,600. Including the cost of tires, that's $6,000 in repairs/replaced parts in less than two years and 20K of actual miles.

No dealer will give me a decent trade in once they check the VIN# and see the service record. Volvo's corporate customer service won't step up to the plate or acknowledge the serious hazard this sort of failure creates. "Try merging onto an urban expressway or passing on a two lane only to have your car lose all power", I said to the Volvo Corporate Service rep in NJ via phone. "Yeah, that would be bad", he said, "But what do you expect us to do?"

We bought the Volvo for its reputation as a safe, reliable car.
That's why our next Volvo will be a Subaru.

Apparently, we're not the only XC70 owners who have been endangered and then screwed over by Volvo Coporate and Volvo Dealers. Wonder what they'll do when it gets a family with kids killed?

xc4life
08-04-2006, 05:26 PM
are you serious??
my car is at this problem to, just that it hasn't left me stranded yet. My last service, last month, 60,000 mile check-up. I had the radiator, engine mount, and powersteering resivoir replaced($3000 including lbr.). Then i returned to my dealer a week later, they "repaired" the computer, and said my tranny's bad. I am not going to pay the $6000 w. labor 4 a new tranny. I have converted all my work orders to .PDF file. I am planning on contacting volvo. I dont know what the hell is going on, but i need answers. I'm willing to contact even Volvo A.B. in sweden. No matter what, i'm not selling my car, and i'm not paying for this crap. [cussing] Tell me more about your expeirence, I am using every contact i got in these forums to tell Volvo about.

bigwoodenradio
08-04-2006, 09:14 PM
The dealer in Topsham, ME...which is reportedly rated as one of Volvo's 'Top Dealerships'...did not repair the transmission, nor did they replace it with a 'new transmission'. The repair was delayed over a week because the 'parts' didn't arrive from Volvo N.A. on time and that Volvo N.A. reported the 'new transmission' was 'probably lost in transit'. The dealership in Maine then replaced with a 'reconditioned transmission'...w/o ever discussing this with us. They also said they 'did the ETM software upgrade' but 'did not replace the ETM part because 'it hadn't coded, yet.' From tow-in to return of vehicle took 14 days.
We were stranded (we're from the midwest) and had to rent a car at our own expense for two weeks. I'll add to the pathos by noting all of this transpired as my father was dying. He died and we had to fly to Chicago for burial and his memorial service, then fly back to Boston, drive to Maine, and now drive our 'reconditioned' XC back home to Iowa. Thanks, Volvo, for another heart warming story of customer care and service. If I worked for them, I'd be ashamed. [cussing] :mad: :(

xc4life
08-05-2006, 07:34 AM
:eek: Well, after what you just told me, i'm afraid to drive with my family to British Columbia in a week(i live near San Francisco, Calif)..guess i'm taking my dying 89' Toyota Camry All-TRAC (awd) sedan then, no way i'm taking my peugeot or volvo 240.. [nonono] ..i wish some vcoa chapter would start a protest in front of Volvo N.A. and make them help them...but how you said that your getting a suby....i really like the all new impreza wrx sti ...(i might buy one), but I have my eye set currently on the infiniti g35...if i buy one, i will modify it like crazy!!!
but now, for my volvo xc, [cussing] , i havent spent that much on my peugeot repair in the last ten years!!! (well the engine completely rebuilt in 89' (but back then it was my dad's problem) :D

The dealer in Topsham, ME...which is reportedly rated as one of Volvo's 'Top Dealerships'...did not repair the transmission, nor did they replace it with a 'new transmission'. The repair was delayed over a week because the 'parts' didn't arrive from Volvo N.A. on time and that Volvo N.A. reported the 'new transmission' was 'probably lost in transit'. The dealership in Maine then replaced with a 'reconditioned transmission'...w/o ever discussing this with us. They also said they 'did the ETM software upgrade' but 'did not replace the ETM part because 'it hadn't coded, yet.' From tow-in to return of vehicle took 14 days.
We were stranded (we're from the midwest) and had to rent a car at our own expense for two weeks. I'll add to the pathos by noting all of this transpired as my father was dying. He died and we had to fly to Chicago for burial and his memorial service, then fly back to Boston, drive to Maine, and now drive our 'reconditioned' XC back home to Iowa. Thanks, Volvo, for another heart warming story of customer care and service. If I worked for them, I'd be ashamed. [cussing] :mad: :(