PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Leak

ltoolio
07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey folks...
During my last oil change, I noticed some oil (or some fluid) had leaked a bit on my skid plate. Upon further inspection, I could see that it was spread out a bit on the undercarriage. Any thoughts/opinions on what it might be? I'm going to be bringing it in for ETM software upgrade, and I'd like to point this out with a bit of intelligent direction.

My fluid levels appear to be OK, but that doesn't necessarily indicate that this isn't the start of a bigger issue.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks as always,
LT

RedXC
07-21-2006, 06:11 PM
I've seen many of that, sometimes when the drain plug/washer is leaking oil, it spread to the other parts of the car such as trans, and oil pan. You can clean it up, and in a few days see if its still there. Other than that, you have to do a further inspection possible at the turbo/return line.

BillAileo
07-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd guess from the pictures that it could be some seepage from the bevel gear...

Bill

Vwvolvo
07-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I've had a major leak repaired last week from my rear differential. They had to remove the differential completely and re-do the seal. Also they replaced both oil seals for the axles.

I also have the same '' oil leak '' than your pictures on the bevel gear. They fixed the turbo oil return lines because they told me that it could be the oil from those return lines. But they did wipe the bevel gear clean for a future inspection. I'm not convinced because the oil stinks and I don't know if you have smelled gear oil before but it has a particular odor and the '' swetting '' on my bevel gear has that smell and not the smell of regular engine oil. I'll see on my next trip to the dealer.

Good luck

Luc
Montreal, Canada

BillAileo
07-24-2006, 01:15 PM
A couple years ago Volvo issued Tech Notes No. 46-08 that covered all 5 cylinder AWD Volvo cars from 1997 through 2004 that began with the description "If oil weepage is found at the Angle Gear Vent, a new vent valve should be installed. "

The Angle Gear is the same thing that is often referred to as the Bevel Gear. Perhaps the referenced Angle Gear Vent weepage is what you are seeing....

Bill

Art
07-24-2006, 01:36 PM
I had leaks on both the turbo return line and bevel gear that Luc and Bill speak of. Naturally, the cost of replacement parts was minimal compared to the labor involved. The bevel gear leak involved installing a bleeder nipple and filter.

No report of oil seepage from my own rear diff/VC.

Vwvolvo
07-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi Art, for the rear diff. repairs, I lost my car for 9 days because our weather was so hot that some mechanics were calling in sick and the dealer fell behind for repairs. Fortunately they provided me with a 1998 S70 wich worked fine.

Now enough with that bla bla bla !

How long does it take to replace the nipple and vent on the bevel gear. I want to get it fixed ASAP before warranty expires but I don't feel like losing my car again for 1 week this summer.

Thanks

luc
Montreal, Canada

Art
07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Luc,

The dealer charged four hours for performing the work for removing the bevel gear and installing the nipple and filter. Parts in comparison totalled less than $12.00 Cdn.

ltoolio
07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, based upon all your reponses, I think I'm going to go under, clean it up, give it a couple of weeks of driving and see if it was because of a lose oil pan plug or if it is something bigger.

If it's something bigger, hopefully it is still covered under warranty...Good to know about the Tech Note as provided by Bill.

You guys rock. Thanks for the input.