PDA

View Full Version : Clank noise after start driving..

NCVolvoXC
06-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Interesting pattern of noise coming from my '02. When accelerating, perhaps entering 2nd gear or so, there seems to be a clank noise coming from the left front(?). The cause of this noise can be felt in the gas pedal as well. I've read something about an ABS self test but a clank noise seems unusual. This noise only happens after accelerating from an ignition start not from stopping at a stop light and then accelerating. In this case, accelerating means smooth not jamming the gas. Anyone had this happen to them or know what this may be.

Thanks,
Ed

Art
06-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Hi Ed,

I also experience a similar 'boing' noise and wondered if it was suspension related issue. As you stated, It seems to occur like clockwork, only on start up and during slow acceleration, in my case, around 20 kph/1800-2000 rpm. The techs informed me that it is the abs system resetting itself. I was also told that the speed and noise may vary from vehicle to vehicle.

tgrumaj
06-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Yes, you are experiencing the ABS self check process on your XC. I have a 99 and went through the same thing before getting put straight. Every time you start up the ingnition and move out your ABS does a self check at about the point where you shift to 2nd. In my car it sounds like a soft "chunk" sound with a similar small "thump" I can feel. If you have your foot on the brake (softly now!) when it happens you'll feel it even more. Nothing to worry about just the old XC doing it's job.