PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes

Marc
07-13-2006, 11:51 AM
I've got a '99 XC. Bought it used last fall. At the time, it had new rubber all around and a dealer brake job on the front brakes (pads and rotors). My rear pads look thin, so I'm going to replace them this weekend (resurface rotors as well). Anything I need to know going in? I've done this job on VW, Mercury Villagers, Hondas, etc. Looks pretty straightforward, but I just want to check.

Thanks,

Marc

RedXC
07-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Well resurfacing the rear rotors I will suggest you to measure the thickness first, since they are not vented rotors.

There are three different kinds of rear brake pads on the -2000 XCs. I only replaced the two, one the caliper is held by a 12-14mm bolt, another is held by a Hex(allen) bolt. The 12-14mm bolt is easier to replace with enough room. However, the allen bolt will be a bit diffcult due to limited amount of space on the upper bolt, the spring will be in the way of the tool you're using. It's a pretty easy brake pad replacement. I also will recommend you to lube the caliper sliding pins, with any brake/high temp. grease. BTW, you will need a short allen key or socket, and a channel lock pliers for the socket to get the job done.

srs
07-15-2006, 08:26 PM
I did my 1998 V70XC brake pads and rotors last spring. I agree with RedXC, it is not difficult. The rear pads wear about twice as fast as the fronts. Everyone I talk to acknowledges this but no one has explained why.
I had to loosen up the parking brake cable quite a bit to remove the rear rotors and still needed to use a large piece of firewood to knock them off. Lots of corrosion in Michigan.
My preference is to replace not resurface rotors.
I would have parking brake pads on hand if you like to use it.
Use the brake grease on the back of the pads also.

RedXC
07-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah I forgot to mention grease the pads. I also recommend replacing rotors esp on the 94-currrent Volvo models. What I believe is, the XC is a AWD system, and all 4 brakes are to stop the wheels, what I think is that all four wheels have a amount of force in them since they all move at the same time causing more wear on the pads as you brake. I might be wrong but its a good guess.

Ken from RI
07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Where did you purchase your pads? I've looked at a few stores on line and each one has several types of pads listed. I'm not sure which ones to get. any insight to a part number? :confused:

Tyrant11429
07-19-2006, 04:38 PM
try fcp groton

srs
07-22-2006, 05:16 PM
The first set I used were PBR Semimetallic from www.ipdusa.com because the OEM pads are so dusty. I was using P21s wheel cleaner almost weekly. However, some mechanics will use nothing but OEM because of brake noise with aftermarket pads. I never have had a probem with noise. IPD's operators are very knowledgable and drive Volvos themselves. They can help with part numbers for the rear pads whereas the fronts are easy. I think I recall a warranty if you purchase a pad/rotor combination.

My second brake job I obtained rotors from www.tirerack.com. I used cryo treated Powerslot for the front and Zimmerman for the rear (no Powerslot available for the rear and IPD did not have the cryo treated rotors at that time). I used PBR Metallic pads from IPD.

A word of caution if you have not used metallic pads-Occationally they will not "grip" real well in cold winter weather and after car washes until they warm up. The warm up only takes a short period of braking but my wife hates this. I think it is worth it to have virtually no brake fade in the mountains and in stop-and-go traffic and also the clean wheels are nice. They last a lot longer too. As they heat up on hot days they grip so well I have to let up on the pedal during hard braking.