PDA

View Full Version : Changing a Headlight Bulb

XChuck
07-10-2006, 09:14 AM
So I'm not much of a DIY'er when it comes to the car - house yes, car scary - but I think I can change a light bulb.

My headlight bulb is burned out and it really - sorry - burns me to think about having to pay someone to change this. I used to change them on my old Rodeo but I took a look at the Volvo and it looks pretty scary in there.

I tried the search and didn't see anything - anyone have any tips on changing the headlight bulb on an '01 XC? :confused:

Many thanks!

jmoser
07-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Get a helper to hold a bright flashlight - You need oddball H7 bulbs for the '01 XC.

You may need or want to unclip some of the wire harnesses that run along the top edge of the underhood opening, easier to reach down to bulbland that way.

The headlight bulbs are behind flat-dome shaped black plastic covers - you twist and remove to expose the bulb assembly.

Wire harness connects directly to the spade connectors on the H7 bulb, press plastic thingy and pull off wire connector.

Bulb itself is held in place by a bent metal wire 'bail ' - you unhook the end of the wire and it flips down, allowing the bulb to be pulled out.

Put new bulb in, reattach wire spring bail, reconnect wire harness, reinstall plastic dome cover. Test lights first, then reclip any of the misc. wire harnesses that you may have moved for access.

PS wear rubber surgical glove so you do not touch new bulb with fingers - skin oil can get on glass and blow it.

XChuck
07-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks! This is great, I appreciate it. I will give it a try and see. [thumbup]

littlewaywelt
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks! This is great, I appreciate it. I will give it a try and see. [thumbup]
There's a description in the owners manual as well. It's a little hard the first time unless you have small hands. Once you know what to do it takes less than five minutes.

Anyone have that pdf schematic for 05+ where the whole headlight assembly slides out?