PDA

View Full Version : ABS+TRACs+Check Engine - "Christmas"?

tgrumaj
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
Well on the way back from visting the inlaws it happened:
1st the ABS and TRACs lights come on together after about 1 1/2 hours driving (ABS module shot???)

Stop the car for about 10 minutes and restart....the ABS comes on with no TRACS.......10 minutes of driving later...on comes TRACS AND "Check Engine".
Now I've got three lights at once....aren't I lucky!!??

Stop car for about 30 minutes and restart....on comes check engine light but no TRACS or ABS. Drive for about 100 miles...shut down car and restart in about 15 minutes and.....

Everythings fine....no lights. Drive for about 100 miles and....on comes ABS and TRACS....

It's a light show!!! or...GUESS WHICH LIGHT NOW!!! Great game to keep the troops occupied for a long boring ride but now I have to get at it....guess I'll take to my indy and see what he can find out on the codes....my guess is at least a new (or reconditioned) ABS module. Hope nothing more.

It the problem of the quarter with my beloved XC...about 3 months ago it was the wheel bearing, before that the imobilizer ring, before that the resistor and fan motor, before that......ok enough....onward and upward.

BillAileo
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I believe the "guess which light" scenario you describe is likely a symptom of a bad ABS module. You'll likely either need a new one (expensive) or have your rebuilt.

Bill

tgrumaj
07-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Well the ABS codes (ABS-303) were thrown and it looked like a clear case of an ABS module replacement. Ordered the new (rebuilt) ABS and when my indy went to install it....behold.....the ABS module was wet as was a lot of the area around the ABS module. Looks like a problem with the brake master Cyl. Hoses look OK but Cyl is leaking. I have never heard of this one!!! Brake fluid all over the ABS module which is what must have caused the problem. Not leaking enough to cause the brake fluid level to drop too far and result in a check brakes light. Now looking like I'll need a new brake master cyl. and ABS module. Total (using used rebuilt parts around $800!!) I'd hate to think what the dealer would charge.