PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Experiences and questions

Bimmers-B-Better
06-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Bought a 2001 V70 Cross Country from an independent dealer around February of this year. It had approx 48,000 miles on it when I bought it. I'm beginning to regret ever having laid eyes on this monster.

Driving it on April 16th with cruise control on. It's pulling a small hill and suddenly goes into a limp mode. Message on dash says "reduced performance" and motor will not go over 2000 RPM's. Shut the car off for a few hours and when we start it up to go home everything appears normal. Pullin another small hill and it once again goes into the limp mode but this time also gives a "engine service urgent" message.

Take it to the Volvo dealer. They charge me 165 dollars for which they "inspected and cleaned ECM connections/ downloaded upgraded softwear/ retested ok."

Flash forward to 2 weeks ago. Same scenario, same result. Limp mode, "engine service urgent" message. Back to the dealer. I tell them that I am aware of the mammoth problems Volvo has with their ETM's (thanks to this forum and Vexedvolvo.org info!!!!!!!!) and that I think my car's symptoms are those of an ETM failure. I also mention that I am aware that Volvo has quietly increased the warranty on these parts.

They ended up hooking my car to VIDA and downloaded codes 981A and 904D. According to the work order they "inspected ETM and ECM connections" and that they "look fine". "MAF sensor readings fine. R and R ETM and inspect for oil, ETC on throttle plate". They ended up replacing parts 8644347 Throttle B, 8636753 Gasket and 9494714 ETM reload all for no charge.

My question: should I insist on reimbursement for my original $165 since the original problem turned out to be fixed under warranty? I asked the service guy about it and he said that although the problem wasn't fixed when I originally took it in that I did recieve some value from the upgraded softwear that they installed at the time. I also had the 155 softwear campaign done at that time for which I was not charged for. Also, can I expect a little reliability out of this auto for a while after this fix or should I start shopping for a BMW 5 series wagon with X-Drive now?

Any ideas?

barrysharp
06-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Hmmmm - interesting and pleased you were aware of the latest Volvo announcement for the ECM issue etc.

I would give the car a few more months to see if the latest repairs have fixed the problem - a few months is not wasted in terms of resale value. Also, if you like the car in all other respects then give it some more time before making your decision would be my advice. Of course you can start shopping now to be in a position to quickly switch to another car of your choice if the Volvo doesn't meet or come up to your expectations/satisfaction.

A MY2001 with 48,000 miles on it means the car has been used sparingly - barly 9,000 miles/year.

AWD*V70XC
06-25-2006, 03:06 PM
My question: should I insist on reimbursement for my original $165 since the original problem turned out to be fixed under warranty?

Any ideas?

Yes, because after a few miles you got the same problem so they did not fix the problem. All in all they have screwed you for $165 and been paid by Volvo for the replacement work. NICE. Get back on to them....pronto.

BTW welcome to the board :D always nice to have new members asking questions, even if they have been reading us for months on end :p

littlewaywelt
06-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Bought a 2001 V70 Cross Country from an independent dealer around February of this year. It had approx 48,000 miles on it when I bought it. I'm beginning to regret ever having laid eyes on this monster.

Driving it on April 16th with cruise control on. It's pulling a small hill and suddenly goes into a limp mode. Message on dash says "reduced performance" and motor will not go over 2000 RPM's. Shut the car off for a few hours and when we start it up to go home everything appears normal. Pullin another small hill and it once again goes into the limp mode but this time also gives a "engine service urgent" message.

Take it to the Volvo dealer. They charge me 165 dollars for which they "inspected and cleaned ECM connections/ downloaded upgraded softwear/ retested ok."

Flash forward to 2 weeks ago. Same scenario, same result. Limp mode, "engine service urgent" message. Back to the dealer. I tell them that I am aware of the mammoth problems Volvo has with their ETM's (thanks to this forum and Vexedvolvo.org info!!!!!!!!) and that I think my car's symptoms are those of an ETM failure. I also mention that I am aware that Volvo has quietly increased the warranty on these parts.

They ended up hooking my car to VIDA and downloaded codes 981A and 904D. According to the work order they "inspected ETM and ECM connections" and that they "look fine". "MAF sensor readings fine. R and R ETM and inspect for oil, ETC on throttle plate". They ended up replacing parts 8644347 Throttle B, 8636753 Gasket and 9494714 ETM reload all for no charge.

My question: should I insist on reimbursement for my original $165 since the original problem turned out to be fixed under warranty? I asked the service guy about it and he said that although the problem wasn't fixed when I originally took it in that I did recieve some value from the upgraded softwear that they installed at the time. I also had the 155 softwear campaign done at that time for which I was not charged for. Also, can I expect a little reliability out of this auto for a while after this fix or should I start shopping for a BMW 5 series wagon with X-Drive now?

Any ideas?
Yes, you should be reimbursed. That they erroneously upgraded the wrong thing in attempting to fix the issue is 100% their problem. That you received any value out of it is completely irrelevant. Tell the manager you want a regional VCNA rep involved if they refuse to refund your $. That they didn't recognize the signs and symptoms as indicative of an ETM issue right away given the scale of the problem is very hard to believe and you should make them aware of that as well.

dr.tb.xc
06-29-2006, 05:51 AM
Bought a 2001 V70 Cross Country from an independent dealer around February of this year. It had approx 48,000 miles on it when I bought it. I'm beginning to regret ever having laid eyes on this monster.Every vehicle has its issues, and BMW is not immune to that. You've bought a vehicle with nearly 50K on it and no warranty. Unfortunately, you can't know for sure if your XC was properly maintained or how it was driven before it came into your posession. It's a risk you take.

"Bimmers-B-Better?" Possibly, depending on your criteria for comparing them to Volvos. But I do believe this much:

Volvos-B-Safer.

-Todd

Bimmers-B-Better
06-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Every vehicle has its issues, and BMW is not immune to that. You've bought a vehicle with nearly 50K on it and no warranty. Unfortunately, you can't know for sure if your XC was properly maintained or how it was driven before it came into your posession. It's a risk you take.

"Bimmers-B-Better?" Possibly, depending on your criteria for comparing them to Volvos. But I do believe this much:

Volvos-B-Safer.

-Todd

My user name was chosen using both my BMW experience and my Volvo experience. It stems from my frustration at having bought what is billed as a safe and long lasting car only to have serious driveability and reliability problems with it almost immediately. My BMW was also bought used and with about 42,000 miles when I bought it and now has almost 70,000 miles on it. It has been much more reliable. Just my experiences, your mileage may vary.

I may be mistaken but it seems that you are saying that the massive ETM problems owners are having with their cars is due to a lack of proper maintenance and/or how the car is driven? If proper maintenance involves the pre-emptive replacement of the ETM (an expensive proposition) then I guess I am guilty of not taking proper care of this car. I foolishly thought it should last longer than 50,000 miles.

As far as safety, I don't think cruising down the road at 70 mph and having the car suddenly go into a limp mode and slowing by 10 to 20 mph is all that safe. As far as in a collision I can't say. But it would not surprise me to find out that it was all marketing "sizzle" too.

I hope you don't take my post personally. It was not meant to be. It is born of the frustration of the poor reliability of our car up to this point. I want badly to like this car. I think it looks great. The one chance I got to drive it in the snow I was impressed with how I couldn't get it to behave poorly or to get the car sideways. Surefooted like a mountain goat.

One positive note, I did get the dealer to refund 2/3 of the cost of the original $165 dollars I spent to diagnose the ETM issue. It was not ALL the cost but rather than fight with them some more I consider the case closed.

dr.tb.xc
06-29-2006, 04:50 PM
My user name was chosen using both my BMW experience and my Volvo experience. It stems from my frustration at having bought what is billed as a safe and long lasting car only to have serious driveability and reliability problems with it almost immediately.Naturally, you're free to name yourself whatever you like. It's unfortunate that your experiences with your particular XC have been as negative as they apparently have. I'd be angry, too, if I were you, and owned a vehicle I considered to be cursed. But, unlike you, I probably wouldn't visit a community of XC owners, few of whom regret their decision to buy a Volvo, and introduce myself by saying, "Hi there. The name's 'Your-cars-are-inferior'. Care to give me some advise?"

I may be mistaken but it seems that you are saying that the massive ETM problems owners are having with their cars is due to a lack of proper maintenance and/or how the car is driven? ... I foolishly thought it should last longer than 50,000 miles.I'm not an apologist for Volvo. I believe the foot-dragging way the've handled and continue to handle the whole ETM issue is disgraceful. They have much to regret and should own up to it if they hope to improve their tainted reputation. Personally, I apologize if I've offended you. That wasn't my intent. After re-reading my earlier post I admit, it does seem as if I was blaming the victim. I thought your dissatisfaction with your XC extended to other issues beyond the apparent ETM problems.

As far as safety, I don't think cruising down the road at 70 mph and having the car suddenly go into a limp mode and slowing by 10 to 20 mph is all that safe. As far as in a collision I can't say. But it would not surprise me to find out that it was all marketing "sizzle" too.So, you're not being overly cynical? [sly] Let me make sure I understand this. Your ETM fails; your XC goes into the limp-home mode; the Volvo service department wastes some of your money and time. Ergo: you doubt all the decades of R & D Volvo has put into making their vehicles as safe as possible and the truth of all the testimony that grateful crash survivors have given? I can't follow that line of reasoning. It just seems like you're bitter to me.

I hope you don't take my post personally.No offense taken. I hope that works both ways.

[My post] is born of the frustration of the poor reliability of our car up to this point. I want badly to like this car. I think it looks great. The one chance I got to drive it in the snow I was impressed with how I couldn't get it to behave poorly or to get the car sideways. Surefooted like a mountain goat.I'm happy all your XC experiences haven't been negative. I really hope you can learn to love your XC, as many of us do.

Glad to have you around, er ... Bimmer. [happy]

-Todd

birddog
06-29-2006, 05:02 PM
It sounds like your dealer sucks. If you were smart, you'd find another one, they are the ones who will make the overall experience with your car.

[sly]