PDA

View Full Version : Are the 2002-2004 XC70s more reliable than older yrs?

chausfeld
06-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I read in a recent Consumer Reports magazine that theXC70 models through 2001 are VERY unreliable... the report was pretty dismal. Does anyone have access to the CS reviews of the newer models, specifcally 2002-2004? Or any general input on their reliabilty? I am considering buying one, but would rather not if it's going to be a maintenance nightmare.

Thanks!

DucVDuc
06-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Short Answer = Yes they are more reliable, and also consider an extended warranty.

Longer Answer. On average, from high maintenance headaches to low it goes '99-01 XC70 --> '02+ XC70 --> pretty well anything Japanese. If you truly want a high likelyhood of having a trouble free car then Volvo is not for you. However if you accept some tradeoff in reliabilty then an XC70 is a superb car. The financial risk of XC70 ownership can be mitigated with an extended warranty (at least for ~4 years) and by avoiding the 99-00 models.

NikosXC70
06-21-2006, 06:48 AM
Actually you might consider 03-05 as they share more mechanical and powertrain characteristics. Same 2.5T engine, Haldex AWD vs. Viscous Coupling, the 03’s came with TRACS and as of 04 DSTC was available instead. The 01-02 (P2 platform) has the 2.4T engine with the Viscous Coupling AWD, same as the 98-00 XC’s (P1 platform).

To be quite honest every model year seems to be a little better then the previous one, minor things though! The major ones are mentioned above.

Cheers,

Low Tide
06-21-2006, 07:27 AM
NB: Correction. SOME 2003 models have DSTC. It was optional. A fair number of us ordered it or spec'd it on our cars that year.

For what it's worth. My 03 has had zero mechanical problems after 50K and a lot of rough road driving. Brakes one time (47,500) rotors fine. Tires (38K) one time. I have had several cosmetic issues, all fixed under waranty. I had one headlight crack by a rock- this was EXPENSIVE to fix, but nothing you can do about a freak accident.

Overall, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

There are very good deals on remaining '06 models. Then again, you can probably find an '03 or '04 for between $21K and $26K if you look around.

I'd stay '03 or later if I were you, but there are plenty of people with '01-'02 who would say that their experiences have been good. Odds are "better" in the used market for the later 2.5T, Haldex models.

littlewaywelt
06-22-2006, 12:56 PM
I read in a recent Consumer Reports magazine that theXC70 models through 2001 are VERY unreliable... the report was pretty dismal. Does anyone have access to the CS reviews of the newer models, specifcally 2002-2004? Or any general input on their reliabilty? I am considering buying one, but would rather not if it's going to be a maintenance nightmare.

Thanks!
My 01 was an absolute nightmare to the tune of 2-3k withiin the first year of warrany expiration. I feel lucky that I was able to unload it (it took five months) to someone that didn't ask any questions about it's history.

That said, mine was from very early on in the production run. I think if you do anything after a build date of Jan you'll probably be ok.

You may however want to consider 03+ as they then started using an elect awd that should be less prone to mechanical issues over time than the 01-02 viscous coupling system.

Sasquatch
06-22-2006, 03:25 PM
The suspension and brakes seem to be under-engineered. Things break or wear out way too soon. The newer ones don't seem to have any better history here from what I've seen. The fuel/electronics systems also have problems, but I'm not sure if the newer ones are better in that regard or not. Knowing all this makes me not really want a Volvo going forward, BUT, when it is working and fixed, it rides OK for a big heavy boat of a car. Better than the Mountaineer I almost got. Of course the Mountaineer would have more people, cargo, and towing capacity, and probably better reliability. Tough choices to make.

philosophicaldreamer
06-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Our 2001 XC70 has been so far the most reliable Volvo that we have owned. :) However, next Volvo we are going to get is going to be the last year of production of XC70 so that way Volvo will have hopefully addressed all those troublesome spots in this model. We used to have the last year of production V90 volvo, which had very bad reputation according to CR, but it was a much better car than 965 or 240 Volvos.

Ta-ta, j.

xc4life
06-22-2006, 05:05 PM
:mad: my 02 xc just got serviced @ mckevitt volvo and had to get the radiator replaced, the engine mount, and some other crap.....main point i paid $2500 for gettin a little crack in the radiator....i cud of just kept on reffillin da coolant in it for weeks....but the main point is...
MY CARS BEEEN ACTIN UP!!!!! :mad: