PDA

View Full Version : This Ocean Race Volvo is too stoic for me!

AWD*V70XC
06-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Let me declare that I have nothing against wagons. We owned two Taurus wagons, and as a kid I remember an adventurous move from California to Pennsylvania in the back of a Chevy wagon. But this Ocean Race Volvo is too stoic for me. It looks much more interesting than it is to drive.

Not a very flattering report, says some nice things and then really turns the knife to leave a very sour note to savour afterwards.

I often wonder what these journalists compares these test cars to? If they wouldn't buy a Volvo, why test a Volvo? Would you compare a Volvo XC90 against (say) a BMW X5? different cars, different buyers. There appears to be no bases for what some of these so called test drivers will say about a car. I expect that if they (and that should be 'even allowed near' such a car) to have a F430 at their disposal what would they say about that, "the trunk was too small for the shopping" or "I couldn't get my golf clubs in the car"

Let's start looking for proper comments from journalists who know what to expect from a Volvo and give their honest opinion, based on experience.

The full report can be read here - http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1150367949342&call_pageid=970599119419

Art
06-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Stoic?...I think not. In fact, one would think the Ford Taurus as being a more appropriate representation with regards to her comment.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for God sakes she’s just a gardener. :rolleyes: No offense to my better half. ;)

http://www.rbg.ca/renwald/kathy.html

I happen to love the OR edition and am even looking at trading up to one of two currently sitting on a dealer’s lot. To me, the XC70 personifies utility and function and, from where I sit, I'm still unable to find anything that is tailored for our own individual needs with respect to cargo storage, ride comfort, etc...

The OR edition (sans 4C Chassis) is also comparable in price to a near fully loaded XC70 which makes it a pretty decent value considering the additional accoutrements.

Here’s a link to a more favourable review that I posted last week.

Canadian Driver - 2006 Volvo XC70 Ocean Race (http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/06xc70oceanrace2.htm)

BillAileo
06-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Art,

We have also been contemplating an upgrade to the Ocean Race edition.

If your calendar can adapt to a trip to Sweden by the end of July you might be interested in the following "prebuilt" Ocean Race OSD special:

"Convenience Package, Climate Package and $2000 off on the XC70 AWD Volvo Ocean Race Edition"

If I am reading everything correctly, that would be 35,680 USD.....including, of course the trip for two. I don't know whether the OSD oprogram is the same for Canada.

Bill

Art
06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Bill,

I was told that it would be too late for us to take advantage of OSD on a 2006 OR edition. From what I understand, the US and Canadian programs are slightly different.

That being said, Volvo Canada is currently offering over $1200 worth of free accessories until the end of June with the purchase of a new vehicle although I’m not certain if this deal extends to all Volvo accessories.