PDA

View Full Version : Over-enthusiastic Climate Control??

Andrew_72
06-13-2006, 08:32 PM
I recently purchased a 2001 XC70. It is the 'SE' Australian version and so has lots of extras including the air quality sensor for the climate control that auto recylces the cabin air if outside air quality deteriorates.

I've found though that when starting the car after leaving it parked for 5-10 mins, the climate control turns the fan on full and directs cold air out of the face-level vents (setting on 'full auto'). This goes on for about 1-2 minutes then returns to normal. I could understand this if the cabin had become hot and needed cooling, however it happened the other day when the outside air temp was 5 degrees C!! A full-on blast of cold air when the car is started up and the temp dials were both set to 24 (warm).

Is this normal? Is the system just trying to flush air through the cabin? Or maybe clear condensation (of which there was very little)?

It certainly isn't the most comfortable experience to get back to a nice warm car from the chilly world outside and have the car then try to freeze you!

Ideas, anyone?

Kubrick
06-20-2006, 10:53 AM
I just had the same problem with the 2001 V70XC that I purchased a few months ago. Just like you said, if I drove my car then shut it off for a few minutes and then got back in and restarted it, the climate control fan would come on full-blast - very uncomfortable!

My local dealer checked the codes and said it was the climate control fan. I was skeptical, but they replaced the fan for US$270 and the problem is completely fixed. I thought the price was a little high, but now that it's fixed I feel like it was well worth it.

Good luck!