PDA

View Full Version : Changing passenger climate control bulbs??

Grocery Grabber
06-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Does anyone know how to remove a portion of the center console faceplate to change a burnt out bulb towards the hotter (red line) of the passenger climate control knob? :confused:

In the dark, the dial is only illuminated from the middle mark to the colder (blue line) settings. It's not a show-stopper, but my eye always seems to wander over and it is more of a nuisance than anything!

Thanks!

AWD*V70XC
06-12-2006, 04:51 AM
I think Art or Willy are the men for you, both of them have access to detailed drawings (I think) and they should be able to post them here, if they have not already done so on another thread. If you hear nothing from them in a day or so drop them a PM.

birddog
06-13-2006, 07:20 AM
when you do remove the section make sure you have the correct bulb. there are two different ones used in this area, last time i purchased the wrong one and had to reassemble without the bulb being changed, then redo the whole procedure a few days later. all in all, not a difficult thing to do though.

Jhughes
06-13-2006, 08:03 AM
If you do a search for ECC on this site you will find some good threads on how to remove the ECC unit. I replaced the bulbs in my ECC a few months ago and it took me about 15min to complete. One of the big things to remember is to disconnect your battery and wait at least 10min before you disconnect the ECC unit! There are two types of bulbs one has a white color base and the other has dark grey/black color base. Your Volvo part department should have them in stock. Also, when removing the ECC unit (by pulling towards you) it will feel like you going to break something because it is really held tightly by the metal retaining clips - just pull hard and it will pop out. One more thing, since the ECC unit is out you should clean the little fan that pulls air into the temp sensor, this will quiet the fan a little and make the fan motor last longer.

igloo
12-27-2007, 12:56 AM
Here is a picture of the back of the CCM and the arrows show the location for the grey (4 bulbs) and white (2 bulbs), and pictures of the old and new light bulbs. Retail price is about $18 each, but as always, ask for the good costumer price, $11. Still expensive, but it should only go bad every 5 years. I replaced all of them because I don't want to deal with the nightmare again. The parts guy told me there was a software upload require if the CCM is removed. Then, I asked the service advisor for the charges to replace the bulbs and he mentioned $110 plus the bulbs needed. I asked him if they could be replaced without disconnecting the CCM, and he said absolutely not.
I went home and removed the CCM, unplugged only the cigarrete lighter/12v outlet just to allow me turn the CCM around, and with a flat screw driver, I replaced the bulbs myself. When putting the CCM back, push the tabs down to allow them to go inside the unit again. It should align, if not check for a plastic pin on the left corner, which needs to inside a little hole. Everything looks and works perfect :). Good luck.

eglinski
08-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Here is a picture of the back of the CCM and the arrows show the location for the grey (4 bulbs) and white (2 bulbs), and pictures of the old and new light bulbs. Retail price is about $18 each, but as always, ask for the good costumer price, $11. Still expensive, but it should only go bad every 5 years. I replaced all of them because I don't want to deal with the nightmare again. The parts guy told me there was a software upload require if the CCM is removed. Then, I asked the service advisor for the charges to replace the bulbs and he mentioned $110 plus the bulbs needed. I asked him if they could be replaced without disconnecting the CCM, and he said absolutely not.
I went home and removed the CCM, unplugged only the cigarrete lighter/12v outlet just to allow me turn the CCM around, and with a flat screw driver, I replaced the bulbs myself. When putting the CCM back, push the tabs down to allow them to go inside the unit again. It should align, if not check for a plastic pin on the left corner, which needs to inside a little hole. Everything looks and works perfect :). Good luck.

Thanks for this info... I need to replace the bulb on my 2001 S-60 T5 the heated seats, defrosters, and half of the passenger temp control does not light.
Do you know if this is a GREY or WHITE base bulb?
Are the grey and white base bulbs physically the same? same size? interchangeable?