PDA

View Full Version : Self levelling suspension?

KeatB
06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know when self levelling suspension was made standard on UK spec XC70s?

How can I tell if a car has it, aside from loading it up of course?

Thanks

Keat

Willy
06-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Hello and welcome.
I don't know when this system became standard in the UK, but loading the car won't give the answer.
The suspension works on the (up-down) movement of the car, there is no external power source involved.
Wen loaded, the car acts like any car, you need to make a ride to get the self levelling effect.

Willy

KeatB
06-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Willy - thanks for that. I know the Nivomats need movement - I should have written "without loading the car and driving it around for a few miles".

Cheers

Keat

Willy
06-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Sorry for underestimating your knowledge on the subject :o
I do find it a worthwile feature, and besides the obvious benefits
of better driveability and full suspension travel when the car is
loaded, the self levelling system makes the suspension somewhat
firmer (IMHO better)
Willy

kat
06-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know when self levelling suspension was made standard on UK spec XC70s?

Thanks

Keat

I think it is the opposite of standard, in that in the V70XC classic it was standard but the new (current shape) it has always been an option. So in effect unless it has been fitted at the time of delivery or afterwards then it has not got it.

I got quotes for this last year and from Volvo dealer it was looking around the £1000 touch, half price from an independant although did not follow through and see if like for like.

vtie
06-11-2006, 05:50 AM

Thanks
Keat

The self-levelling suspension can't be combined with the 4C suspension, so I would be surprised if this would be standard on all cars.

TrueBlue
06-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Two ways of telling -

1). Get a friendly dealer to look up the vehicle on VADIS if it's on the vehicle it will show up as Nivomat

2). The Nivomat units are much fatter than a conventional shock absorber, filling up all the space inside the spring - if you see what I mean.

If you're incredibly polite to the VCUK Customer Services ladies at Marlow (the 0845 number) they can be persuaded to look up the vehicle for you. But be nice and don't ring up on a Monday......

FWIW In my experience of buying V70's and XC70's all had Nivomat, but as it happened they were ex-Volvo cars.