PDA

View Full Version : Adding OEM options after the fact

dr.tb.xc
06-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Hello all.

As I've mentioned in another current thread, I'm in the process of shopping for a nubile, young XC70--"firmer" than my much-loved '01 model. After years of being a shade-tree mechanic it seems I'm finally losing my taste for it. Changing fluids, filters, and performing "tuner" upgrades--still okay. Replacing major mechanicals such as compressors, CV joints, etc., or the nagging worry of when they'll finally fail--not so okay anymore.

Since I'm limiting my search to new '06 models and '05 and '06 low-milage used XCs, I'm finding it somewhat challenging to locate an attractively priced one with the exact list of options I most value. That being the case, can anyone tell me what OEM options can affordably and practically be added after the fact?

In particular, I'm most interested where these are concerned:

DSTC
Integrated booster cushions
IAQS
Home link
Auto-dimming rear view mirror

And for that matter, if I purchase one with the third row seat/restraints, can I easily remove this to sell on eBay without making a total mess of my cargo bay? I ask because I'll be installing a sub-woofer enclosure and aftermarket amps.

Thanks in advance. I wouldn't dream of making a move without your collective wisdom and advise. :)

-Todd

gibbons
06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
In particular, I tried to look into adding DSTC, I thought it would just be adding a switch to the dash, hooking into the harness, and Vadis-ing the SW. It is much more involved than that, like adding a steering wheel position sensor and other hardware goodies. The bottom line was that it was impossible for all intents and purposes.

NikosXC70
06-05-2006, 11:52 AM
#2,4 and 5 are fairly easy add ons but at what price is the question! If you come accross a used sunroof, light and auto dimming console and a set of homelink sunshades it would reduce the overall cost.

As for DSTC, you should find one with it. As Gibbons posted it is a bit of a hassle as aftermarket add on!

dr.tb.xc
06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks for your input, guys. I'd basically come to the same conclusions after researching for a day or two.

DSTC -- too expensive and impractical, and for that matter, largly unnecesary where I live--it virtually never snows.
Integrated booster cushions -- easy upgrade, but impractical nonetheless. Cheap as an option ($300), but only sold as individual parts--each and every little piece. Would likely cost several hundred dollars or more if purchased through the stealership. Better to find one in a wrecked XC and have the leather dyed to match.
IAQS -- still not sure if this is practical or affordable
Homelink -- easy, maybe expensive
Auto-dimming mirror -- possible, but probably prohibitively expensive. Partially under control of software, so installation is far from plug-and-play

Anyway, my inquiry is basically moot now, at least as far as my own situation is concerned. Today I signed away my children's college funds and purchsed a black, showroom-fresh '06 XC70. [thumbup] It has Premium, Convenience, and Climate packages as well as Bi-Xenon lamps.

Hopefully I'll still be able to afford the fuel to drive it once in a while. :rolleyes:

-Todd

PS: I'll post a photo or two after I've transferred my goodies from my '01 to my '06.

John@CdnRockies
06-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Nice upgrade there Todd!:) Don't forget to aim those Bi-Xenons upwards a bit and they will light the road beautifully.

John

NikosXC70
06-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Congrats on your new ride, black or blue is the way to go for the XC70 IMO.

Have to post some pics of my ride as well!!!

Cheers,

dr.tb.xc
06-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Don't forget to aim those Bi-Xenons upwards a bit and they will light the road beautifully.Tempting, I must admit, but I spend my workdays listening the the complaints of aging patients who are momentarily blinded ("dazzled", we say) by "those[cussing] blue headlights they put on those [cussing] import cars these days."

The blue spectrum light does a marvelous job of illuminating a developing cataract. Good for my career. Bad for my (and their) safety, since dazzled drivers may stray into my lane. :eek:

Maybe I'll just tip up the highbeams a bit.

Have to post some pics of my ride as well!!!I look forward to seeing them. I've just posted a few of my new XC. There's a link under my "Amazing crash (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61704&postcount=1)" thread. Hope you approve.

-Todd