PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Control and MPG decline

Grocery Grabber
06-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Hi, I'm new to posting, but have been a BIG fan of this site since I purchased my 2001 XC70 in Dec 2005.

I just couldn't stand the delayed, harsh engagement into gear when coasting 10-14mph then pushing the accelerator. I LOVE my car, but HATE this issue! So... I took the advise of many on this forum and has my Volvo Service guys (begrudgingly) take the Neutral Control off (s/w update 30646691). They REALLY encouraged me not to do it. They had absolutely no experience with this update and asked me to provide all the necessary part numbers, detailed information, etc...

I just got the car back yesterday and it is a completely different car. I found I have 're-learn' how to drive it. I no longer have to ease up on the gas pedal when in that 10-14mph clunking 'danger zone'. My only concern is that it appears that my gas milage is suffering. Now I only had it one day, but switching on my instantaneous MPG reading, it looks to be running about 10-20% less efficient. Has anyone else found this to be true or should I wait and be patient for more MPG data? (I just get nervous with $3.20+ / gallon!)

Thanks to everyone out there sharing their experiences. I am a prime example that you help so many with this candid discussion board.

Thanks!
(my xc70 was once described as an suburban 'Grocery Grabber' - needless to say I loved it and it stuck!)

dr.tb.xc
06-02-2006, 08:07 PM
... My only concern is that it appears that my gas milage is suffering. Now I only had it one day, but switching on my instantaneous MPG reading, it looks to be running about 10-20% less efficient. Has anyone else found this to be true or should I wait and be patient for more MPG data?I haven't noticed any reduction in economy since having neutral control disabled last month--maybe not such a big surprise in my case, since my poor economy has been an ongoing issue with my XC.

I, too, really love not having the neutral control. Still, I find myself compelled to bump the shifter into neutral manually whenever I'm stuck at a traffic light for more than a few moments. Perhaps that's why my economy hasn't apparently suffered.

-Todd

Jhughes
06-02-2006, 08:35 PM
I had NC removed several months ago and have not noticed any difference in fuel economy. Having the NC removed was one of the best things I did to my XC, and thanks to this site for revealing how to get it removed. This site is a great source of information and has great members supporting it - thanks again VolvoXC.com!